Sign in to follow this  
AshBrighter

[Interest Check] < >

hello?

Hey. I'm part of Bracket. It's a small group of friends that I roleplay with and invented a combat RP style for. It's a guild making use of a Frankenstein system derived from many peoples' own creations that I've taken bits from that I like. 

A few of these bracketed people I've known for a long time and have had similar issues with others peoples' systems. Dull roleplaying methods, too much dependancy on RNG and too little freedom in character creation and moderation. That's why we've slowly been working on our own little thing to play with every once in a while. I'm here now to bring this system to the public and see if it's to the interest of anybody. If there's anything to improve or if you have suggestions (criticism too), please let me know.

so what is this about, exactly?

Alright. The guild concept. Since we've mostly created this combat system for going on adventures and killing things, our guild concept department is lacking a little. Struggling to come up with a suitable idea to implement this combat system into, we've decided to go with a garrison-like theme. Having made an attempt at making this system work before, we've looked in hindsight and found that most people simply idle around online in the roster and do their own thing if the guild has no base and is completely based on people coming together by themselves to conduct RP.

As a result, we've decided to create a central hub where the participants will live and/or hang out at. This allows the members to have social RP between one another when they don't feel like fighting bosses with the combat system the guild is based around. From there, the characters will either be given a bounty board or are assigned to adventurous tasks instead, which leads to the main idea of the guild. A central hub where players can hang out and go on "garrison missions". This also allows us to publicly host should we want to at any given time.

yeah, not convinced yet. isn't this every guild ever? there's like 3 of these atm

I feel you. I'm well aware that there are similar guilds that have decided to adapt to a D&D inspired system. We have some building talents among us, but we mostly pride ourselves on the combat system. We'd like to say that it's different from the rest, but you can make that judgment for yourself. Let me explain.

The first issue we found with most combat systems is that RNG plays a large role in the form of rolls where it doesn't quite make sense to be. As a result, we've completely scrapped rolls from the combat system and reserved it for niche moments only that are truly random in an IC sense. 

Next, a lot of stats make for a lot of confusion. At the same time, having too little stats makes a combat system feel simplified. To solve this, we've decided to go with HP and Stamina only as attributes. In this sense, Stamina refers to general resource. This means energy, mana, rage and of course stamina. Aside from that, you have three basic stats. Defense, Intuition and Wisdom. To explain those stats, let's dive into the main idea behind the combat system.

If you are familiar with Final Fantasy or other turn-based RPG games, you will find one red lining throughout the combat. Your character has four main abilities, and one trait that he/she can respectively use once per fight. There are no default abilities such as a whack or a bolt of magic. If your character is unable to cast spells or has everything on cooldown, it can hit an enemy in melee range for each point of Intuition he/she has. 

Defense reduces the amount of damage taken by 1 per point, Intuition increases your stamina regeneration by 2 and Wisdom reduces the amount of stamina required to perform spells by 1. You have your status ailments too, but you can read that up at the intro of Bracket's spreadsheet; as well as the XP system. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hGarAzxW5jfEp1K5skvX73tVAnGFuWq23Pr4MMz1K-I/edit?usp=sharing

(Take a quick peek at the archives tabs if you need some inspiration for your own character/item/boss profiles!)

i'm waiting for the part where you tell me something new

Chill. The reason why this system may be different from others is, as you might have noticed from the spreadsheet, the freedom of creativity of completely up to the participant rather than the DM. When playing different systems, we've felt like we simply dumped our characters into a template created by the DMer rather than fleshing out our characters how we want to. Whether it be stronger than most, friendly-fire inducing or weaker than others.

You have the freedom to design your own spells whether passive, channeled or cast. You also forge your own ultimate ability (trait) and, when you feel like it, you can also create new loot to the already existing loot table and looting system. If you want to host an adventure or "garrison mission" for yourself or your select friends, you can create and design your own bosses as well. The only thing the DMer does is double-check that everyone keeps their power level at an acceptable medium when it comes to designing spells. Do pay mind that the bosses are designed to be HARD.

There is no main storyline and there is no main DMer that people need to depend on. Every storyline that goes on is started by the members themselves or timely by the staff. Players have as much freedom in this system as its creators; because of its simplicity once understood, perhaps this could draw in some people that haven't given DMing a chance yet and are looking for a way to do so. This is that platform.

The way the RP is played out isn't as simple as "Bart'ho casts Spiked Shield on the enraged worg, dealing 4 damage." Every time you cast an ability, you have the freedom to use it how you like. Let's say your character has a slashing ability, and you're fighting a gnome. You're allowed to strike down using your superior height for increased damage, or you can redirect your fireball on a boulder above your target to smash them for more damage. This is all up to the player. Since the bosses are scaled to be very difficult, you will need this kind of creativity to beat them. Environmental attacks are a thing.

alright. how do i get started?

Since this is only an interest check, there is no direct way to join us right now. This section completely depends on the crowd reaction. If there is a small interest, we will likely host a Discord server for getting together. If there is a medium interest, we will most likely make an official forum post. The idea of building a guild around this combat system was puzzling from the start, so we're only investing as much as there is interest. For that same reason, the base mentioned earlier in this thread is still a work in progress considering we personally have no need for it right now, but will need it if we attract more attention. 

Typically, you'd start with approaching one of us on Discord or giving anyone in the guild < > a poke for an instant OOC invite. From there, we'll give a little chatter with you about your character and go on to lead you into the spreadsheet. You'll have 25 total points to distribute between health and stamina, and you have an additional 1 point to spend in either of the three main stats. From there, it's all up to you when it comes to designing your profile, bringing your character out in full colours and doing it justice by creating your own design. 

is there anything else?

Since I'm making this post at 8:11am without having slept, I doubt I've mentioned everything I should have in this thread. I'll add a few examples of profiles below and my own personal Discord. 

Thanks for giving this heavy read a chance! It's a bit of a wall of text, but that's because it's just lacking fancy pictures to fill the space. Trust me.

dawi#9476
Edited by AshBrighter

Super interested. This looks really nice and it's definitely well thought out. I'm making my sheet. :)

On 1/4/2018 at 11:28 AM, Visaerys said:

Goodluck with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

creature.png

10 hours ago, Romeo said:

absolutely massive. i love it. have already made a sheet

10 hours ago, Tsukihi said:

Super interested. This looks really nice and it's definitely well thought out. I'm making my sheet. :)

5 hours ago, Rogan said:

Goodluck with it.

Thanks you three! Y'all already added me on Discord so we good. 

4 hours ago, Visaerys said:

I'm too much of a simpleton to understand this, so i'll let it pass.

It looks very complicated, yeah. Once people have a grip on it, it's as simple as a 1 2 3. Fair play, though!

Edited by AshBrighter

can vouch for not wanting to try it when i looked at it because it looked so scary but then i did it and was like hey this is ez

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

can vouch for not wanting to try it when i looked at it because it looked so scary but then i did it and was like hey this is ez

listen to this nerd. she speaks volumes. :ok-hand: 

(like 10% volume her mic is really shitty)