TheDemon

Fade to purple

Orbeck used to be a proud soldier of the military. It used to be a great honour to call himself "defender of people". With pride, he wore the grey and red coat of Gilneas. But that all changed when the king commanded to build a wall, secluding the capital and its surroundings from the rest of the kingdom. Orbeck could not understand what madness could drove the king to such decision, but what he could see was the effect this decision had on common folk tasked with building the wall and those, who were soon to live behind it. And somewhere in the north, a lady was born.

He tore his tabard and threw away any insignia of 'king' Graymane he had. He left to the hills of Silverpine, vowing to help any and all people in need and swore vengeance against those proud lords who care not for the people they should protect. To his surprise and content, he was not alone and soon a large group of former soldiers, smiths, farmers and many others who didn't want to leave their friends and families behind the wall, gathered. They did all they could to help in whatever way they could. And with a whisper and flash of strange light, many people died.

The Bannerless Brotherhood, as they now called themselves, flourished and was very popular among local villagers. Just a little glimmer of hope, knowing that there is someone who cares for them. However, Orbeck was not done just yet. He was indeed happy that the people are safe and don't live in fear and poverty, but those lords still needed to be taught a lesson. A plan was soon devised. Although Gilneas was closed off, from time to time a supply of mostly luxurious goods was let in. That would be where they stuck, at the lavish lives of the nobles. And in a castle, a little girl was put into chains.

Few successful raids later Orbeck was pleased. Now even the poor folk of noone's land could share a bit of luxury in their lives - good warm clothing, delicious food, even a bit of jewellery. The lords surely were displeased, but they could not afford to send any guards after them, at least that is what Orbeck's friends, who stayed in Gilneas said in their messages. But the cloud grew darker, the shipments became less frequent and irregular. Orbeck had this strange feeling in his stomach like something was coming. Maybe just one or two more raids, and then prepare for the worst, he told to himself. And a cart began its journey to the wall, seeking shelter from coming storm.

They spotted the convoy, yes an armed convoy baring banners Orbeck could not remember, or perhaps didn't want to. Regardless, if they send actual soldiers, there must be something really valuable inside this cart, a tough ran through his mind, he gave his men a signal, they were ready to strike. It was a short skirmish. The guards, although well trained and equipped, did not anticipate an ambush. Most of them died before the fight even started. Orbeck managed to defeat two of them, but just barely. He earned few new scratches this day. After a brief break for catching a breath, full of anticipation he opened the doors of the cart. What he saw inside, shocked him. It was not what he has expected, not in the slightest. The cart was empty, only a little child was sitting on the cushioned seat. It was a young girl with long raven black hair, flowing down her back, and deep violet eyes. She was dressed in an expensive looking dress, but her hand were chained together with a strange chain. It was looking just like a normal chain, but just looking at is made Orbeck feel weird. "Are you my friend?" The girl suddenly asked, her eyes set on Orbeck. He just realized she was staring at him. He was covered in blood, sword still in his hand, but the girl was not frightened at all. "Are you my friend?" The girl asked again, "captain has the key," she added, shaking the chain. Orbeck quickly found the key, unlocking the strange chain, "Where are your parents, little girl? Where is your mom?" he asked while doing so. "Mommy is dead..." the girl answered rather casually. "Oh... I am sor-" Orbeck started, but the girl jumped in "Are you my friend?" She asked again. "Yes, yes of course, we can be friends." Orbeck answered with a smile, finally managing to unchain the girl, someone made sure the chain held very tightly. "Does friend have any food?" "No, not here. You have to wait a bit." "Does friend have any water?" Orbeck reached for his flask, but it was empty, there was a huge cut in it, probably from the fight. He looked sadly at the girl, "I am sorry, but no. Just wait a little and-" "Why does nobody like Tessie?" the girl said sobbingly, a tear forming in her eye. "I -" Orbeck wanted to say something, then the girl's face changed, he could swear her eyes were glowing. Then a flash of violet light swallowed a small part of a forest. The Bannerless Orbeck and few of his friends disappeared, never to found by their brothers. But soon, death washed over the land, erasing all the memories of those who lived there. And somewhere in the north, a girl walked on a road.

P.S. A very special kind of friend asked me to write a little backstory for her character. She said, "could you talk about her, without really talking about her?" And so I tried. Tell me how I did.

P.P.S If you gentleepsolonians like it and if she allows to (mainly if she allows to), I might add a part 2 and maybe more.

P.P.P.S Also, if anyone wants to commission an art, we would be happy.

Edited by Vojtik