Sign in to follow this  
Witch

State of the Community

?????? ?????
giphy.gif
-------------------------------------------------------
But on a more serious note anything that you said today is nothing short from the truth and I couldn't agree anymore.
I want to have faith that with that rumored update to patch 7.3.5 from 7.2.5 will have a big impact on bringing people back but that is also another worry of mine because it is very apparent that the server is on auto pilot with nothing other than chat and phase moderation being active. And someone like @Tia can not be a one women show and run it all. If we are to have any progress in repairing Epsilon back to it's glorious start months ago there needs to be progress show rather than Administration just say "Coming soon... TM".

Edited by J J

Image result for background sunshine  200 x 200

32 minutes ago, J J said:

But on a more serious note anything that you said today is nothing short from the truth and I couldn't agree anymore.
I want to have faith that with that rumored update to patch 7.3.5 from 7.2.5 will have a big impact on bringing people back but that is also another worry of mine because it is very apparent that the server is on auto pilot with nothing other than chat and phase moderation being active. And someone like @Tia can not be a one women show and run it all. If we are to have any progress in repairing Epsilon back to it's glorious start months ago there needs to be progress show rather than Administration just say "Coming soon... TM".

I'm happy you pointed that out JJ! I think our biggest failure is that we do nothing together as a community. There has been no word about Running of the Trolls, which will be hosted on June 9th and benefits the Trevor Project, happening in the Epsilon community. We participated in Running of the Gnomes and I would like to see the community come together again on June 9th, and once again for the ninth annual Running of the Gnomes.

Why do we not do anything, why have all of the major guilds and communities left, and while I think this may be a question better suited to another topic, Tiariana is absolutely the only active staff member in-game. Why? I would challenge any of the staff members to message a random average Epsilon player and ask them to name one of their in-game characters.

Can you name any of Matt's characters, or Xeslite's, or Sadriel's off the top of your head?

While I was a Roleplay Heaven administrator, I often said "RPH is a community effort," but the same applies to Epsilon. It is a community effort, and it will either succeed because the people want it to, or it will stagnate because they do not care.

EDIT: To the staff's credit they have contributed very much to the server, but they should understand where I am coming from and why.

Edited by Witch

Epsilon_Ohana.png

I can't disagree with anything posted in this thread, truthfully. I spent well over a year waiting on the day Epsilon finally launched its legion server - the day it did felt like a dream. Even after the launch the community managed to pull in new people, but that ended near the very end of 2017. Dozens upon dozens quit RPing altogether or returned to their roots of RPH/Paragon, and now like you said, only a few remain for what the server still has to offer.

I don't think the community is beyond ever recovering but if it continues in this state? It's almost guaranteed to be in an eternal slump. I like that you touched up on that the community does not engage in anything together anymore; I remember the running of the gnomes as a fun night where community members worked together to achieve something positive.

Despite not being too much of an active face myself anymore in the past few Spring months, if more efforts to fix what is left of Epsilon were made, I would happily take part.

it has been abit of a let down, yeah.

though from the sounds of it, a few more bugs have been fixed and more features added - on the 7.3 test realm, just not the live realm.

with an average of 10 players on daily, it is difficult to remain optimistic about the future of epsilon. Hopefully i get proved wrong, epsilon was and still is a nice place to hang about.

thanks for your message

I don’t, and haven’t, come around in a long while – but it sucks to hear that Epsilon is a dead server, even if it’s said jokingly. If I bring it up, the conversation generally stops with people complaining along the lines of “nobody is on there, nothing happens.”

So I’d like to bump the thread with what little I can offer as someone who is, in any practical sense, an outsider. I liked the server while I was active and Witch’s post has encouraged me to come back around, at least in some capacity, as I feel like my indifference was a detractor. Hopefully that viewpoint is a valuable one, in case anyone has some gripes about what’s been said in this thread and how it’s presented to any potential returning members.

1 minute ago, Akhorahil said:

I don’t, and haven’t, come around in a long while – but it sucks to hear that Epsilon is a dead server, even if it’s said jokingly. If I bring it up, the conversation generally stops with people complaining along the lines of “nobody is on there, nothing happens.”

So I’d like to bump the thread with what little I can offer as someone who is, in any practical sense, an outsider. I liked the server while I was active and Witch’s post has encouraged me to come back around, at least in some capacity, as I feel like my indifference was a detractor. Hopefully that viewpoint is a valuable one, in case anyone has some gripes about what’s been said in this thread and how it’s presented to any potential returning members.

Thank you Akhorahil! I was very flattered when I read your post. I also hope that, if nothing else, this thread helps make a difference. It's a long overdue discussion.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

I don't honestly think 7.3 should be a needed part to have people come along and RP, the server functions fine as is but I find I can't disagree with some things in this post.  I don't care about 7.3 despite my occasional joking around.  It'd be nice to come up to par with the modding community in places such as RPH but it's not needed to start stories and meaningful RP.  

This being said however I feel that there is a bit more to it than simple surface value "I want 7.3".  I think it's about the lying, the lack of transparency and disconnection between staff and community.  My honest opinion is that Azarchius despite his amazing efforts through the duration of Epsilon at some point forgot he was the developer.  He attempted to play GM, which whilst I appreciate the initiative that wasn't his intended purpose to my understanding.  This is a team and that entails everyone having a functional role to further the successful development of the community.  I feel that many of the GMs stopped caring and that poor decisions were made along the way, I feel that many of them simply chose to take up the reins of GM without being prepared.  Yes, real life ALWAYS comes first but if you knew you would have issues why apply?  

Back to the topic at hand however, the lying and lack of transparency.  When I say lying I don't mean to bring down the credibility of the staff as they have made good efforts along the way and have achieved amazing things.  However transparency is important.  Why is it different here than from RPH?  RPH wasn't built on the concept and idea of having a CDN that restricts patches and gives the same baseline to everyone.  Yes, it would be amazing in practice but so far seems to be a distant concept constantly out of reach.  The community has viewed it as an attack, a pledge essentially that development has come to a halt.  It has been since the new year that we had an announcement about something positive (Happy new years from Azar), and the other announcements were fixing issues that once again we don't really have a full comprehension of.  

In the end I feel that there are a few bad choices that can be fixed, a few bad choices that aren't yet final.  If the server pulls it's shit together, get's the DB2 client fixed with all the custom items and launches then we may have a chance to bring back the playerbase so long as the staff gives consistant updates and news.  The gossip corner for example is a great idea on Witch and Tia's behalf, a fresh breath of air with a concept from the legacy of Divinity-X.  Sadly however, without content it is all for naught.  

In the end what I am saying is if Epsilon is to make a stand and yank the playerbase back, they must do it quickly.  Epislon will NOT last another year this stagnant.  We have ups and downs with population yes, we have good days with 20-35 people, but that's nothing in comparsion to our old 100-200 a day.  If you think that our current population and activity is acceptable then you are lying, bullshitting and playing yourself.  That is my opinion on the matter, I hope it means something.

fdfgsdfgs.png

Played on this server for the first few weeks of launched and have not touched it since. The core concept of the server seemed decent, the ideals and morals of the server seemed to be in line to setup a constructive environment for roleplay. What ensued was essentially a misshapen, mismanaged generic server where I could get the same quality (or lack there of) on another server with triple the population. For the love of god, the server didn't even have the basic necessities to create custom npcs for the first month or so and when the tools were finally given to the playerbase, it was in a format that took hours on end to produce a few simple designs. 

If Epsilon was to ever co-exist in the niche roleplay wow server community it needs to stand out in a way where it provides -something-, something that can't be found in other avenues, I know a lot of people came over to try the server and ride the hype train. Just as I know a lot of the vocal toxic majority liked to ride on the coat tails of trying to create an "us vs. them" mentality with RPH but for lack of a better way to put it you guys lost. The server was a hand-me-down version of something on the "market" that was already proven success. What I initially CAME here to try was to see if the ethics and moral values of people like Tia and his staff could create an environment better suited to cater to roleplayers than a place like RPH. What 100% of the population got as a consequences was silence, so I went back to the place where at least I know people actually talk.

Semantics of the drama b/w staff joining and leaving and all of that jargon aside I would inclined to agree with Rogan, you need to rebrand desperately. Look at servers of days past like Prologue, Legacy, CoTH, funneling time into continuing the status que I feel will continue a road of 20+ players max with people going for quantity everytime on RPH. BFA is on its way but what is stopping you from hiring on people to design a custom world in itself w/ noggit or other tools, hire a dedicated staff of DMs and make it a single phase only "Campaign" that rotates on a 3month period? I'd be hype as shit to play where progress is dished out by DM'd events where the ENTIRE server's population are forced to interact in a smaller zone focused concept.

Ideas like these would be a great way to revive the core concept of Epsilon and get rid of the old "us vs. them" squabbles that should have never arisen in the first place.

0zRtXax.png

Management, all I have to say. People who slacked were allowed to stay in positions of power when other people could of taken them, therefore halting the assembly. I'd say more but many people have tackled the points I would of brought up, +1 to some of you.

Edited by Norshar

zxZaKpL.png                

S3SCCwW.png            

b6BCJ5k.png

i have had a very good experience with epsilon mostly because the community is great. dont care much for technical issues since roleplay doesnt require too much of that, just need some good people and a way to type and im happy, and i got way more then that on this server. got very good friends through this server and have had one heck of a time just existing in the discord and being social ingame, cant say i have had any issues, just sad that people need the latest and freshest patch in order to play for some reason, seems a bit dumb to me to stop playing because 'you're waiting for 7.3'

12 hours ago, Witch said:

the once-most popular guild on the server Steel Banner has dissolved

Whilst I will not go into great detail on the matter, The Steel Banner's disolving had very little to do with the current state of Epsilon or the promises of 7.3. It did play a part in the fact that it demorialised myself and @Cool Man, but there is more to it than is suggested in the original post.

Edited by Ross

58 minutes ago, Ross said:

Whilst I will not go into great detail on the matter, The Steel Banner's disolving had very little to do with the current state of Epsilon or the promises of 7.3. It did play a part in the fact that it demorialised myself and @Cool Man, but there is more to it than is suggested in the original post.

The intention of the post wasn't to assume. I'm aware that neither of you had any intention of disbanding the guild based on the server's population or 7.3. One of the points of the initial post, and this is not just true for many of the members of Steel Banner but players in general, is that the server has changed fundamentally from the time of its launch to today. Because of that, many players have left.

7.3 is not necessary for Epsilon's survival but it has been a focal point of much discussion since this year began, with many people saying things like, "We'll return when 7.3 is live," or "I'm not hosting my phase until 7.3," or most commonly, "7.3 when." This makes it relevant when taking the necessity of a healthy community into consideration.

The question to ask isn't necessarily "Will 7.3 save the server?" but rather, "How do we as a community take advantage of 7.3 to revive interest in role-play?" The interests and desires of the player base and the prioritization of development should go hand in hand. I felt taking a moment to reflect would help address that.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

sad that people associate 7.3 with better quality RP, as if that somehow is the truth. There'll be no difference once 7.3 hits, the popular roleplaying phases will still be entirely custom as it has been proven multiple times the all-gm phase mentality has most success here. So for anyone thinking "MAEi Rp WilL be beTter OnCe 7.3 hiTs Cause I IWlL have NEw ZoNEs And 3 NEw DemOn MORphs", you are delusional.

Hey guys, I didn't really want to make this post but I feel at this point it has become pertinent. Not long ago I made a post regarding the need to be more transparent in regards to server development, whilst that was somewhat met, it was not the news that we as a community wanted to hear. To be more specific, we as a community have pretty well been left in the dark regarding the release of any new content for the server, Every attempt to find out as to when the release or even an approximated date of the next content patch has simply been evaded or otherwise ignored, most GM officials don't even seem to know what's going on which is indeed worrying to me and I imagine to others as well. I understand that the server is in an "Open Beta" but that as an excuse for some of the issues regarding functionality can only be stretched so far, it's already October and there still isn't any way to adjust client side render distance, a HUGE problem for people with weaker machines, people don't have means to view active phases, Custom content has been removed from the server in favour of making it public content, so on and so forth. The biggest quarrel that I have with what's essentially being done here and I have expressed this to a multitude of people is that, things are being taken out with no adequate substitute being put in it's place. For example, in the early days of release, we had a pseudo form of phase viewer. Albeit it was inaccurate with it's displayed totals of people in the phase, it was still a means of viewing phases. Custom content, on this particular matter we had a multitude of people creating new content for the server which for many was a major reason for wanting to join Epsilon in the first place. It's to my understanding that a new method of content sharing is currently being implemented that would allow for clients to be forcefully integrated with approved user patches. I like the idea of where this plan is going, however like the first, you are taking away content without having a proper substitute in it's place, removing patches from the server. Previously things were just fine as they were, people that did not want patches would simply not download them and those who wanted them would download them, simple as that, taking away the patches and forcing people to wait for the next update has more less shot you in the foot. The current state of Epsilon is best comparable to that of RPH but with MUCH LESS, so far things that have set us apart from them have more or less been taken away and more and more people I am finding are making their way over to greener pastures. To summarize, stop being secretive with the community, it's one thing to hold back information, however when it's gotten to the point where an extended period of time where no content or even as simple as a progress update has been given and you are taking away things as apposed to giving, it makes you look incompetent as developers. I don't want you all to read this and think of it as a stab because I and many of the other people that are still here want to see this community thrive and grow, however there needs to be some give from the development team. I hope this post gives you a little more insight to what is the problem with Epsilon and we can make progress towards putting us on the right track.

Sincerely,

-Matt

My point still stands whilst some of it is outdated, the majority of what I wrote in here is still frighteningly accurate. 

Acf089i.gif

Wholesome post. Being part of the RPH ban refugee crisis really had me plant my passion onto Epsilon, building phases, making new friends etc. It's a shame I feel as if start gets quieter every day.