Whimsy

ONE: Peace-Ephemeral

It was in the aftermath of the demons' third attempted interception upon life. And as celebration for this victory, the time to commune with friends of prior ages had come. A man stood upon a peak, donning a saccharine half-smile. Such was wrought from musings equal in sugar weight. But with the arrival of a buxom blonde woman did his expression become honest, as was his way. This man spent his days speaking vague half-truths, but always did his lips curl candidly: a man of love and proverbs and many lives lived. The woman was quick to lean cooly against her companion.

"You're not as sturdy as you once were. I can feel it. I never expected frailty to befall you." She said, smug in a way only the other would comprehend. It was the way her lips moved that gave it away.

"I have no doubts you would remember my density from those ran-together days. Your mind has always been keen for tedium, ha-ha!" For a man of small stature, his laughter was mighty -- it dared to leave the cosmos itself shaking. Perhaps it did do so, its resounding nature breaking against the flayed planets most distant. The woman seemed discontent with how well her friend had stubbornly survived. He was unscathed through ventures of unfathomable count. She had almost hoped he would have changed for her own amusement. She wished to see aged scars across his ever-freckled cheeks. A desire she acknowledged as selfish.

From this point onward there were little words spoken. They communicated through gestures alone, the subtle shifting of their bones. It was a perfect communication that spoke of years and months and days colluding against hushed, festering malice. However finally did the man act abrasively to the air with potent incantations. Such a mantra ended with a phrasing transcending the sense of most mortals:

"There is nothing upside down, only confused notions and kings and stars."

This prompted a portal. It surged with arcane, and its purposed served not transportation. Instead, it bestowed insights. The events seen were telling of the past, but painted in the present. The woman merely nodded her head, curly locks of blonde bouncing in a playfulness that contrasted her stoicism. In a way that shattered faux apathy did she smile at the once-beloved figure, and he smiled back. It was humble creation they had witnessed. Forbidden secrets and devotion and newborn wails all formed the picture of a freshly birthed family.

"Those after us have survived, and they have lived well. I am grateful forever for this relief, as I had expected the worst of them."

Silence dominated once more, and for hours did conversation once again forbid the movement of lips and any exertions of the body. Their reminiscing was conveyed through nuance.

Interesting I guess.

It looks a tad bit clunky to me and basically nothing saying, which is not necessarily wrong, however, the characters are not interesting enough for me to wonder for more.

Overall, it is a good piece of a mystery story, which looks like it could be part of something bigger and compelling.