Sign in to follow this  
Mithaniel

Phases / RP "Type"

I'm not one for words recently, so I'll try to keep this short and simple:

What sort of phases or RP types are you looking for? What would get you out of the start zone / get you online to come RP with the rest of the community?

What interests you in RP & phases?

9kTXiSH.png

neutral towns, personally

personally i want stories, a good build is a good build but there aint any STORYTELLING DONE*, which really bums me out because i can feel the tide of creativity seeking to burn out

*phases that arent private that cater to long, mostly story-driven events are borderline non-existent, similar to what vis or myself made at some point or another

Edited by Rogan
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

creature.png

1 minute ago, Rogan said:

neutral towns, personally

I got something neutral, but does it have to be a functioning town, or a town at all?

coollogo_com-22769966.png

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I got something neutral, but does it have to be a functioning town, or a town at all?

t'was a joke, though

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

creature.png

This is going to sound weird.

I want a minimum-effort phase.  Pick a spot, maybe make a camp on existing terrain if you feel crafty about it.  Make something simple; a neutral camp or town.  This town is not plagued by all-powerful demons or under attack by some ungodly powerful threat.  This town isn't embroiled in some huge plot that will change the face of Azeroth.  It's not populated by mages or ancient elves or hardy warriors, but by peasants.  Is there a storyline?  Sure, if you want.  Something simple and menial.  Something that is important to the town, but not the region or the continent and certainly not the world.

I feel people go out of their way to make something huge and extravagant and it always ends up being, in some way, niche and over-the-top.  Just play it cool and make something an everyday average joe can go to.  If someone is NOT that, then they can say it's a stop on their way to whatever important place that this phase most certainly is NOT.

Most of my motivation behind this is Amadeus, really.  He's not some teleporting wizard or travelling sellsword, and he's not out to go fighting giants or demons or elementals or anything, so it's hard to find anywhere for him.  That in mind, the closer it is to northern Eastern Kingdoms, the better, but I'm not picky.

I like private adventure RPs but we're asking for something practical here, so I'd frankly prefer a regular town or camp that doesn't bombard me with all this outlandish stuff right out of the gate.

I absolutely agree with @Vath here in terms of simplicity. A number of phase owners attempt to go above and beyond with their construction, only for the phase to perform poorly due to limited community interest or terrible performance issues with excessive objects. Simple social interaction has always been the biggest attraction in most roleplaying servers, allowing characters to meet up in a safe location to discuss their adventures, and perhaps begin new ones. A basic town constructed in a forest environment would be my preference. Alternatively, perhaps an overgrown ruin that has been revitalized into a bustling traveling market.

I agree with @Vath and @Silcore, but also want to add that I've always enjoyed phases that host open events. Events of all sorts can really make an RP environment a mainstay for people so long as the events are accessible.

An open forum in a neutral research settlement where academics can debate set topics or conduct experiments? Sign me up. A book club where people meet weekly to discuss a story whose details are ad-libbed through RP? I've wanted to run a series like this for a while, complete with detailed synopses and excerpts of in-universe fiction.

Phases focused around non-combat events that different people can run for the public seem interesting. I would love to get involved with the worldbuildng and constructioni of such a place.

Edited by bogos binted?

As big a fan as I previously was not of Open-World Hillsbrad, something like that sure sounds nice right about now. Just a regular old zone that people can do whatever in. Although some background theme is always appreciated, like the neutral research settlement thing that Bogos mentioned.

I do like the idea of simple and perhaps small.

It's not populated by mages or ancient elves or hardy warriors, but by peasants

Unfortunately, no phase is going to succeed under this. Warcraft is high fantasy to crazy degrees and people love their high fantasy shenanigans.

This town is not plagued by all-powerful demons or under attack by some ungodly powerful threat.  

I agree and disagree at the same time with the exclusion of this. Now, I'm not saying a phase NEEDS to use powerful threats. However, conflict is an ever present thing in Warcraft. It is in its name, really. However, depending on the patch one uses for their timeline? Specific threats are still there in the background. Do they need to be seen / used? Certainly not. But they shouldn't be ignored for their ripe potential in a longer storyline prospect. That being said, one can use other threats more "grounded" - which I can agree with.

9kTXiSH.png

Conflict can be something as local and simple as bandits and local wildlife, both of which are very real threats to small towns and travelers.

True, true. More landed threats are very possible - and perhaps should be used more often.

Edited by Mithaniel

9kTXiSH.png

4 hours ago, Mithaniel said:

Unfortunately, no phase is going to succeed under this. Warcraft is high fantasy to crazy degrees and people love their high fantasy shenanigans.

I meant that in terms of NPCs, not players.  The players can be whatever weird high-fantasy creature they want.  What I mean is that the actual townspeople are peasants and farmers, like you find in actual WoW in the many villages you come across.  It's guarded by regular guards or something.  It has its share of characters, i.e. it's not populated by mages but might have a mage or two, maybe a few veterans who are retired or something.  What I'm getting at here is that it's not an island that serves as a dragon den and thus full of dragons in mortal guise or something like that.  A town populated by simple, not-godly folks rules by a simple lord or something and guarded by a couple knights, with a wizard or two in the mix and some citizens who have jobs like fishing, alchemy, etc. would be nice.  Could even make names and personalities for the townsfolk and let players interact with them if there's a DM.

4 hours ago, Mithaniel said:

I agree and disagree at the same time with the exclusion of this. Now, I'm not saying a phase NEEDS to use powerful threats. However, conflict is an ever present thing in Warcraft. It is in its name, really. However, depending on the patch one uses for their timeline? Specific threats are still there in the background. Do they need to be seen / used? Certainly not. But they shouldn't be ignored for their ripe potential in a longer storyline prospect. That being said, one can use other threats more "grounded" - which I can agree with.

That's in line with what I was suggesting anyway.  No threat is a threat if dispatched with total ease, and yes, it is Warcraft, but I think BfA presents the kind of threat I mean.  For instance, in Arathi, the Alliance and Horde forces are under threat from the local Trolls and Ogres from what I can tell.  It's not the sky turning green and the Burning Legion swooping down lead by a Dreadlord landing right in the middle of town and burning everyone but the strongest heroes to cinders.  It's just Troll marauders.  That's what I mean - something simple, like bandits or a cult.  If you feel the need to run events, make the cult or bandits a reoccurring problem.  This way it's like a storyline for players who are regulars, but it's something newer players can easily pick up on and get involved in.  That's especially good if they're not playing some mega-OP paladin rushing in to slay those one or two infernals the demonic cult summons while yelling "GOD IS PISSED OFF AT YOU" at the top of his lungs.

Only after writing this did I realize that someone already said it but yeah, that's what I was getting at.  I didn't mean no threat, just not some huge, glowy, overpowered, over-the-top threat.  Something that can be reasonably dealt with.

Recently been looking to make / look for something of a 'solo' roleplay experience done in a phase. The idea was that one player is dropped down into a pre-spawned world (like a map) full of things to do, with an objective to reach without dying. Dying eliminates you from the phase and you can start again with another character, as the one you died with is dead in that 'world'. Maybe have different stages as well, like a level 1 map where you're just trying to reach the exit of a cave, a level 2 map where you're trying to rescue someone, and maybe a level 3 map where you're in the midst of some undead settlement desperate for survival. But that's just brainstorming, I like the idea of a controlled, heavily monitored phase where the roleplayer is against a truly interractive and living world. Plus it's fun to kill players.

But that's just an idea and no one has ever done that to my knowledge save for perhaps Hansel's tirisfal glades. Most things I like seem to be related to how many players actively visit the phase, I loved Light's Harbour, not only for it's amazing building and story, but mostly because there were a lot of players there, a lot of possibilities for good and bad roleplay. It made me encouraged. Made me want to pout my character profile out there and just have a good time. Recently it's been completely reverse on the server (For me), it's been one-on-one roleplays usually exploring fetishes or just boring bland talks for eight hours. That isn't for me. I want things to happen, I want to press an ugly orc against the school locker and bully the hell out of him. I want to steal Marlena's chef hat and blame it on the authorities for it's dissapearance. So anything works for me really, as long as there are people, be it city roleplay, adventure, whatever you now can label roleplay.

Some good replies here overall, folks. I have some ideas - and maybe they'll see the light of day. Maybe they won't.

9kTXiSH.png

On 7/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Rogan said:

personally i want stories, a good build is a good build but there aint any STORYTELLING DONE*, which really bums me out because i can feel the tide of creativity seeking to burn out

*phases that arent private that cater to long, mostly story-driven events are borderline non-existent, similar to what vis or myself made at some point or another

Edited Monday at 05:35 PM by Rogan
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

GUYS GUYS GUYS!

I've been advertising my guild all week called Bravo Company. It's a neutral guild that's based around solo and group missions on a weekly basis that is written in a non-linear format, so your choices have an effect on the world around you. It's a small order where you're not invited to a group of 30 people and your complex character with a rich past is reduced to a man wielding a sword for a turn-based, combat-RP emote. I've been working on this for two weeks and prepare all missions ahead of time. I already have the first 2 episodes pre-built and ready to go, and I create audio trailers for every episode, explaining the growth in Bravo Company's story and introducing new characters.

Like this: 

Here's an example of a character that would fit into Bravo Company:

And a link to my guild post, explaining what it is: https://forums.epsilonwow.net/topic/1301-bravo-company/

The solutions you're asking for are here, you just have to look for them. There are tons of new members bringing unique RP and ideas to the table, but we're being ignored because we're not already established. Take a chance on us.