Northman

EpsilonWoW "Tutorial Video's"

Either tutorial videos or a series of posts in one of the main forums that highlights how to use specific functions in Epsilon.

I also found Epsilon's command system somewhat overwhelming and still do not understand the extent of it, given that there are no real tutorials on them available.

Having tutorials on how to use the server's commands honestly might help retain new membership too, as people won't be tempted to abandon Epsilon for the likes of RPH or Paragon simply due to familiarity with those particular server's command systems.

On 23-10-2018 at 0:55 AM, Ross said:

@Northman @VernDagon Hopefully this helps as a start. 

The Command Guide is great and all, and not only myself but many others appriciate the work put on it. Although, introduction video's would not only be able to transfer information to people faster, compared to reading through the command guide, but it will also give an actual 'introduction' to a certain subject. For example, NPC scripting. I sadly can't find any forum post at the moment that covers NPC scripting.

So next to informing people about the many possibilities on the server, and providing them with helpful tips and tricks via a video, it will both help the server with upholding its quality, and differentiate itself from all the other RP-servers out there. Because let's be honest, every RP server has done the same thing with making a pages long forum post or a PDF/Google Docs, that is supposed to cover every bit of information. Not that it's a bad thing, but it can be done in a much better, easier way that will also be more appriciated by the community. I know for a fact that people on RP-servers would rather see a short information video that explains the basics of building than read a long forum post about it.

In short, the command guide is a helpful, of course. But I believe that introduction video's will do a much better job for the majority of people who are confused about the commands/possibilities. And on top of that it will differentiate the server quality wise compared what the competitors offer. And Epsilon is all about the quality as many people like to say, including myself. 

P.S. Sorry for the late response!

21 hours ago, Northman said:

For example, NPC scripting. I sadly can't find any forum post at the moment that covers NPC scripting.

That would be because Epsilon as of now does not have NPC scripting.

Sure video will do a better job introducing a list of commands to some people.

You might want to introduce yourself to the already existing videos. They don't cover the simple topics, but you may get some inspiration.

If you feel like it, go for it. You will make a couple of people happy and that is always appreciated.

3 hours ago, Vojtik said:

That would be because Epsilon as of now does not have NPC scripting.

Sure video will do a better job introducing a list of commands to some people.

You might want to introduce yourself to the already existing videos. They don't cover the simple topics, but you may get some inspiration.

If you feel like it, go for it. You will make a couple of people happy and that is always appreciated.

Aye, I've seen the Youtube Channel of Epsilon, and they covered some really interesting topics back in the day. Though, I'd gladly help the staff out with making these video's, but all I'm really good for is writing the script or speaking the lines, really. I don't know much about video editing sadly, neither am I all too familair with the commands and actions on Epsilon, compared to the staff. I'll still help out with anything I can, though! :P 

Thanks for the reply!

To be honest, nobody among the staff who knows how to work with and create videos isn't currently swamped with work. (I should say, **always** swamped with work)

If someone would like to step forward and make these videos, we'd be happy to help in any way we can, and furthermore host it on Epsilon's official channel. I do strongly agree as well that a tutorial is very much needed. The Command Guide is fantastic documentation, but we do need some kind of introduction to commands for people who have no idea what commands are or what is even possible.

We can't make this a conclusive video that addresses all commands or even half the commands. That's what the Command Guide is for. But I think a tutorial is strongly required to familiarize players with the very concept of the server, a phase, commands, and how you operate them (exactly what is gobject selection, what are XYZO, some examples of npc and gobject commands, a POV of someone say building a house, etc.)

sSHRE9G.png