Arynn

Tal'deryn Netherguard

Personal info

Name: Tal'deryn Netherguard (previously Il'deryn Netherguard)
Titles: Former Captain of the Allerian Offensive
Nicknames: Tal; Shamash
Race: Void Elf (Illusion: High-Elf)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Languages: Thalassian, Common
Birthplace: Tranquillien

Physical info

Height: 6.2' (1,90m)
Weight: 176lbs (80kg)
Skin color: Pale blue
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Raven black
Features: Arcane tattoos cover his torso (covered)

Illusion info:
Skin color: Pale
Hair color: Red

Personal Characteristics

Personality Traits:

• He is confident in his abilities and does what he can to instill confidence in others.
  • Has a strong sense of fair play and tries to find the most equitable solution to arguments.

Ideal: Believes that people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Bond: Protects those who cannot protect themselves.

Flaw: Has certain rituals he must follow everyday and can never break them.

Skills:

• Combat Skills: Swordsmanship; Arcane magic; Shadow magic.
  • Academic skills: Magic; History.
  • Crafting skills: Enchanting; Inscription.
  • General skills: Cooking.

Equipment:

• Weapons: Requiem (arcane/void-infused longsword); Dagger.
  • Armor: Elven Ironbark armor (Ironbark as in Dragon Age's elven wood armor)
  • Trinkets: Compass; Silver necklace with an amethyst.
  • Spells:
    • Arcane School 
      • Arcane Bolt: A bolt of crackling, blue energy that shoots out toward a creature within range.
      • Arcane Aura: Caster becomes enveloped in arcane energies, empowering their arcane spells and increasing their magic resistance.
      • Arcane Shield: The caster can create an arcane shield in front of them or arround them, depending if they're only protecting themselves or everyone behind them, from incoming magical or physical projectiles.
    • Shadow School
      • Bindings of Tal'amir (Shadow school): Strips of shadow-imbued cloth wrap the caster's target, stopping their movement and holding them in place.
      • Shadow Aura: The caster's form itself turns into a shadow version of themselves, giving them increased resistance against physical attacks and empowering their shadow spells.
      • Shadow Blink: When enveloped in shadows, the caster can  traverse short distances by merging in the surrounding shadows.
      • Shadow Drain: The caster is able to drain a small ammount of energy from the shadows arround him, allowing him to fight for a little longer.
    • Multi School: By combining the schools of Arcane and Void, the caster can create Eldritch spells to aid them in battle, which are more powerful than singular school spells but require more energy to cast.
      • Eldritch Blast (Arcane & Shadow schools): Takes a while to cast. Orbs of arcane and shadow energy spin in front of the caster and then streak towards a target within range.
      • Eldritch Strike (Arcane & Shadow schools): The caster imbues a weapon with arcane and shadow magic, empowering his next strike.
      • Eldritch Combo (Arcane & Shadow Schools): The caster imbues a weapon with arcane and shadow magic, empowering his weapon and dealing 3 strikes to the target.

Backstory summary

Il'deryn was born in Tranquillien, in the Eversong Woods, long ago, arround when the War of the Three Hammers was raging in Khaz Modan in the main branch of the Netherguard family, a family that posessed a great line of rangers and all round fighters. Ever since little, he practiced his skills with the bow, but he had always felt his calling came from the sword, so he perfected his ways with a blade, and as he got older, he joined the Farstriders and helped them protect Quel'thalas' woods.

As the years passed, after the opening of the Dark portal, the words of his skills while fighting the orcish Hordes travelled the land, and it was only a matter of time until the SOns of Lothar reached out to him, recruiting him for the crossing of the Dark Portal into the orc's homeworld of Draenor. Il'deryn accepted this request, and when the Second War came, he crossed the Portal together with his allies, where they became trapped with no way of returning home. While trapped in outland, he rose in the ranks of the Sons of Lothar until he was nominated to become Captain of the Allerian Offensive, a small taskforce that dealt many successful raids to Horde and Legion military encampments. It all changed a fateful day however, when this force was dealt a tragic defeat that killed most of them, making Il'deryn question his leadership skills and retiring from the Alliance forces to travel and find his purpose.

During his travels and despite being proficient with a blade, he decided to deepen his arcane knwoledge in these new lands, a search that allowed him to meet the Ethereal Tal'amir, a mysterious being that helped him quite a lot in his endeavors. The two formed a close friendship, with the Ethereal giving him the name Shamas, which meant "Sun" in his native tongue, as they helped eachother raise their skills to a new level and battled the various threats that came their way.

Years later during a trip to Netherstorm, the duo was attacked by a massive Voidcaller called Nagra'thax. A long battle took place as both Il'deryn and Tal'amir stood their ground against this foe, but as the battle drew out, the closeness to the Twisting Nether and the constant barrage of shadow attacks made by this void mosntrosity took their toll on Tal'amir, as his body absorbed more and more shadow magic. The Ethereal, unable to even stand up as his body was barely able to hold his form, touched Il'deryn's shoulder, who had come to his friend's aid, and with his final breath, the Ethereal directed all his magic towards the elf's body and told his friend to use his power to finish the beast. Il'deryn looked at his hand, now gripping a dark longsword, as if his friend's energies had formed this iem out of thin air, and from the depths of his mind, he heard his friend "This is my Requiem... Now let's do this... Tal'deryn". The elf, now bearing a new name as if him and his ethereal friend had become one, lunged towards the Voidcaller with newfound strength, and defeated him.

As the years passed, Tal'deryn travelled back to Azeroth, but the void energies absorbed by his friend started taking a toll on him, changing him over time into what are known today as Void Elves, however he keeps his high-elven appearance with magic, feeling uncomfortable showing his true form in public due to fear of reprimands from the general public.

Disclaimer: I wanted to create some sort of Hexblade Warlock from Dungeons & Dragons, but had no feasible way of giving him a Patron without making him stupidly powerful, so I tried to find a good candidate for the place among the various magical creatures in Warcraft's  lore, and an Ethereal sounded the most interesting, and not as lore breaking as giving a Titan or an Old God as his sugar daddy.
Kind of happy how this turned out tbh, might actually flesh out his backstory a bit more in the future.

Edited by Arynn

I like it. Cool and unique story of becoming a Void elf and better one that the playable void elves at that.

From what little is given, he doesn't seem to have the most unique personality, but that may be just due to lack of information.

Of course. Titan or Old god as patron would be a bit broken, however there are multitudes of other creatures to choose from. For void specifically some old god generals/prophets, unaffiliated void aberrations or whatever Xal'atath is. But I think that you made a good choice with the Ethereal. It's certainly unique if nothing else, but I think it will work well.

1 hour ago, Litzzik said:

I like it. Cool and unique story of becoming a Void elf and better one that the playable void elves at that.

From what little is given, he doesn't seem to have the most unique personality, but that may be just due to lack of information.

Of course. Titan or Old god as patron would be a bit broken, however there are multitudes of other creatures to choose from. For void specifically some old god generals/prophets, unaffiliated void aberrations or whatever Xal'atath is. But I think that you made a good choice with the Ethereal. It's certainly unique if nothing else, but I think it will work well.

Thank you so much for the feedback ? Yeah, I went the D&D character creation route and did not went into detail about his personality that much, it was mostly because I wanted to check if this would be received well, but i might flesh it out more later on ?