Sign in to follow this  
Aelle

Epsilon is Killing My Computer

Booting up Epsilon recently started to cause my computer to run exceptionally hot. I don't have the exact feedback of temps and clockspeeds from my machine, but suffice to say the thing sounded like it was about ready to take off in to outer space.

This first occurred in a phase I was working on that... didn't exactly have an outrageous number of objects but it did have a few big .wmos and a fair number of particle emitters such as the cavelight objects and so I chalked it up to just having to scale back on build sizes.

However, the second time this happened was immediately after that was when I simply booted the client up, created a character, and logged in to the lobby/mall area.

In both situations, my machine was worked so far in to overtime that it shut down due to overheating and had to be left a good 10 minutes or so before I could even try to power it on.

I also run Paragon (another private WoW server) on this machine and have had no such issues, even in huge build areas that make extensive use of custom objects in the hundreds, if not thousands. I also run considerably more taxing games and programs on my computer and do not have the issues Epsilon seems to give me.

Even before my machine shut down due to overheating, I noticed my fans always run considerably faster and louder when playing Epsilon versus any other game or program, including Cubase 6 with like 30 different software synths and effects running, and it typically took them about 5 minutes or so after I shut down Epsilon to return to usual running speeds/volume.

I have uninstalled Epsilon for now as it's clearly a danger to my computer but before I consider reinstalling it and running it again, I want to know if anybody else has had this issue or if anyone has any idea what could be causing this problem?

Unfortunately, I am reluctant to reinstall and run Epsilon again to give readout data from my machine as, as I said, Epsilon's WoW client is actually causing my machine to shut off from overheating very quickly.

Edited by Aelle

Hello, here are a few hardware-related things to consider.

• How old is your machine?

• When was the last time you updated your drivers?

• How frequently do you apply heat sink paste to your CPU etc?

• Is there much dust blocking your computer's ventilation?

Few things to check in-game/with your Epsilon install,

• Lowering graphics settings.

• Try launching with a freshly downloaded client.

• Close all other programs and launch Epsilon.

Hey Graydon. Thanks for the speedy reply! ❤️

• My machine's about 4 years old or so. It was fairly mid-range when I built it and has since seen a few alterations. I'm running with a AMD FX-6300 six-core CPU, a Radeon RX-480 GPU, and 24GB of memory.
  • Admittedly it was a while ago since I updated my drivers. After seeing your reply here, I went in to my device manager and found that my display adapter drivers were indeed out-of-date so they should be up-to-date now. Everything else was fine.
  • I don't think I've reapplied heat sink paste to my CPU since I built the machine nearly 4 years ago. As I said above though, this is really the first overheating issue with my machine that I've ever really had.
  • I clean out my computer on a pretty regular basis, including opening it up and cleaning the interior fans on the CPU/GPU/power supply/case.

Regarding Epsilon:

• I tried lowering the graphics settings once before when I noticed how audibly hard my machine was working to run Epsilon and although it did seem to alleviate some of the system stress a touch, the difference was honestly negligible. According to my Task Manager, the strain on my system with regards to my CPU and memory due to Epsilon doesn't quite match up to how hot my system is running, or at least it didn't the last time I checked.
  • The next time I run Epsilon, it'll be with a new client since I already uninstalled and deleted the old one.
  • I can certainly give running Epsilone alone a go, though I was not exactly running anything taxing at all besides Epsilon when my crashes occurred.

Edited by Aelle

No worries,

I had a bit of time to think about more potential issues which you can test out the next time you install Epsilon.

If you download some form of hardware monitor, check to see if your PC case fans are being utilized when trying to cool and provide adequate ventilation for your computer.

From what you've said regarding heat sink, it is worth checking to see if you need to reapply some.

Hopefully you find a solution to this that can have you back in-game.

Having reinstalled Epsilon, the issue appears to have been resolved. My machine is working just fine running it currently.

Perhaps my particular client had somehow become corrupted in some way.

Either way, thank you for your help Graydon! ?