Sign in to follow this  
Dom

Weapon m2s added as actual gobs ingame

Hi, so I was just wondering if as a suggestion, it'd be possible for most if not all of the weapons that we can equip to be spawnable as gobs. Currently, the only weapons we can really spawn are the artifact weapons, with some other weapons such as challenge weapons from WoD, but they show up textureless. I was thinking maybe all the weapon m2s that one can view in a model viewer that are already ingame as items, to be spawnable as gobs, as I know I'd love to be able to spawn the one weapon unique to my character somewhere around my house.

I am currently using an artifact appearance recolour as my char's unique one of a kind staff, but due to how things currently are, we can only spawn that basic colour version of each of the artifact appearances, not the recolour options, and having another character use this one trident from nazjatar, i can't spawn it around in my house as it's not a gob, even though it is an m2 like gobs are.

With interest, this could of course be extended to armour pieces / collections which are also m2s to spawn on mannequins or elsewhere, as if I'm home, I don't wanna be carrying my staff on my character as my character is in their house, but if i am not wearing it, nobody can see it, and some of our weapons ICly hold a great importance, but again, you're home and you wouldn't usually be holding your weapons all the time, so just being able to have them be visible there, maybe lying on a table, leaning on a wall, it'd just look great.

coollogo_com-22769966.png

Excruciatingly difficult. M2s have 'dynamic skins' of sorts, which the client does not know how to deal with unless they're bound to a player. This is why all the items have no skin (are white). This can be surpassed by making a new m2 object for every item in the game, but that's... a lot of files. Like, a LOT of files. The issue isn't time, I can make them in an afternoon, the issue is that it's hundreds of thosands of files, meaning another 10+ CDN servers. Or a single untouchable, statically spawned items server, which may lead to slow load times for the items.

It will require a considerable amount of reverse engineering to deal with effectively using existing files--but it's not impossible. And it's something I realy, really want to do, the ability to spawn items for the purposes of displays, mannequins, warfronts, etc.

sSHRE9G.png

14 hours ago, Azarchius said:

Excruciatingly difficult. M2s have 'dynamic skins' of sorts, which the client does not know how to deal with unless they're bound to a player. This is why all the items have no skin (are white). This can be surpassed by making a new m2 object for every item in the game, but that's... a lot of files. Like, a LOT of files. The issue isn't time, I can make them in an afternoon, the issue is that it's hundreds of thosands of files, meaning another 10+ CDN servers. Or a single untouchable, statically spawned items server, which may lead to slow load times for the items.

It will require a considerable amount of reverse engineering to deal with effectively using existing files--but it's not impossible. And it's something I realy, really want to do, the ability to spawn items for the purposes of displays, mannequins, warfronts, etc.

I love how you started off with the impression that this is difficult and a no-go and ended up saying you'd love to do it. I'd love to have it as well, couple of my friends already had ideas they could finally make proper armories, or well, armories at all, since we have like 5 armor stand gobs ingame max and just artifact weapons, which are super exquisite and excessively luxurious, while a simple shop with weapons or armour could do with those less fancy-looking armors and weapons

coollogo_com-22769966.png

we can only spawn that basic colour version of each of the artifact appearances, not the recolour options

Are you sure? The Scythe of Elune isn't like that. I've seen the recolors as items. Not that this fact is a 'fix' per se, but I just know this isn't the case with the Scythe. But I do recall the GOB name for them being not-at-all what you'd think they'd be.

Edited by Perihelion

5 hours ago, Perihelion said:

Are you sure? The Scythe of Elune isn't like that. I've seen the recolors as items. Not that this fact is a 'fix' per se, but I just know this isn't the case with the Scythe. But I do recall the GOB name for them being not-at-all what you'd think they'd be.

Artifact weapons already have their own unique skinned .m2 objects. Blizzard needed to make them for the purposes of the floating objects prior to collecting your artifact and the artifact as you see it in your particular artifact modification interface.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, Dom said:

I love how you started off with the impression that this is difficult and a no-go and ended up saying you'd love to do it. I'd love to have it as well, couple of my friends already had ideas they could finally make proper armories, or well, armories at all, since we have like 5 armor stand gobs ingame max and just artifact weapons, which are super exquisite and excessively luxurious, while a simple shop with weapons or armour could do with those less fancy-looking armors and weapons

I can agree with you on the armor front here, but as far as weapons go, practically every object set in the game has its own unique weapon rack models which are loaded with weapons already perfectly displayed for grabbing. They extend from the shoddy old Vanilla wow sets a la generalweaponrack01.m2 all the way up to the most recent 8ng_nazjatar_weaponrack02.m2 model.

I'm not say they're at all ideal, and that this wouldn't be a freaking great addition, but there are work-arounds.