Sign in to follow this  
Rabbit

Roleplay Announce & Phase Overview Rework

Hi everyone

I think the currrent Event Announce paired with .phase overview is really holding back Epsilon's roleplay side.
As of now I understand most people roleplay in their private phase and public roleplay is not a big thing on the server.

I think this might be linked to roleplay phases not being advertised properly. Perhaps .phase overview could be reworked to display currently hosted phases only. Perhaps there could be values such as number of players currently in the phase and a chat cooldown for advertisements. 

I think there being a more "right here, right now" approach to roleplays would be deeply beneficial for the server.

Rabbit

How would you define 'currently hosted'? We currently have a 'listed' system, whereby you list your phase, and it's automatically delisted from phase overview if there is no one in the phase. You shouldn't be able to see empty phases in .phase overview.

Is the issue that there are phases in phase overview that are not hosting?

sSHRE9G.png

On 5/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, Azarchius said:

How would you define 'currently hosted'? We currently have a 'listed' system, whereby you list your phase, and it's automatically delisted from phase overview if there is no one in the phase. You shouldn't be able to see empty phases in .phase overview.

Is the issue that there are phases in phase overview that are not hosting?

Typing .ph overview displays a bunch of random phases most of the time and their description. It would be interesting to see a proper roleplay announce like we had on Div-X.

Any phase that has decided to set itself as 'listed', will be shown in phase overview so long as there is at last one person in the phase.

I'm unfamiliar with Divinity-X. By roleplay announce, you mean something like .eventannounce, or something more elaborate?

sSHRE9G.png

11 hours ago, Azarchius said:

Any phase that has decided to set itself as 'listed', will be shown in phase overview so long as there is at last one person in the phase.

I'm unfamiliar with Divinity-X. By roleplay announce, you mean something like .eventannounce, or something more elaborate?

Similar to .eventann showing current players in phases, and if it hasn't been advertised in like 5-10 minutes it gets removed automatically. There could also be a button to join the phase when clicked at the end of the advertisement. Right now I feel like event announce is a bit confusing and could rather be used for server-wide events such as celebrations and stuff.

18 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Similar to .eventann showing current players in phases, and if it hasn't been advertised in like 5-10 minutes it gets removed automatically. There could also be a button to join the phase when clicked at the end of the advertisement. Right now I feel like event announce is a bit confusing and could rather be used for server-wide events such as celebrations and stuff.

Fair enough. Made a task on Phabricator for it.

sSHRE9G.png

The problem with showing population in a phase is that people will always gravitate to the most populated one. This makes it harder for Phase Owners to really make their phase thrive based on quality rather than quantity. Which means most RP spots will end up being barely moderated, lifeless tavern hubs. Though, we should fix the phase listing bug where it doesn't delist once the phase is empty. I sometimes forget to delist my phase after a host and then it'll stay up for 24 hours or so with no one to RP with.

5 hours ago, Miles said:

The problem with showing population in a phase is that people will always gravitate to the most populated one. This makes it harder for Phase Owners to really make their phase thrive based on quality rather than quantity. Which means most RP spots will end up being barely moderated, lifeless tavern hubs. Though, we should fix the phase listing bug where it doesn't delist once the phase is empty. I sometimes forget to delist my phase after a host and then it'll stay up for 24 hours or so with no one to RP with.

I believe everyone should have their spotlight. On Divinity we used to wait until the other phases weren't up to host ours. Having 5 open phases with 25 roleplayers online is not a good idea. Let every phase have their turn.