Sign in to follow this  
Maeralya

Cut tiles in half - Triangles

Ever try building a slanted roof? The roof itself is...easy enough, just a bit more math involved to go from tile to tile. But what about the side? You've got a slopped section connecting to the roof itself, except tiles are...square. And would just phase through the roof if you tried forcing it. Or look absolutely horrible if you turned it 45 degrees to make it perfectly slopped. Can we a second set (or I guess 2nd and 3rd set since it would need to take each sides half) of tiles cut diagonally so we can at least make 45 degree angle walls easy? I know thats a TON of objects, but it would be a builders dream I'm sure. Most tiles would work with that, as long as the builder put some forethought into it to set things up in preparation for the spots where only half the tile would be used.

Or is there some alternative I don't know about? Some way to remove the segment I don't need, something like that?

I rotate the tiles to a 45 degree angle and spawn another tile below to cover the rest of it, I am not sure it would work in your case however.

Half-Tiles would be really great. There's a lot of different 'tile' building items I'd love to make if I remembered how these days lol (Half-tiles, stair-tiles, ramp-tiles).

In terms of the triangle half-tile, would it be reasonable to just have one side as, i.e., the bottom-right of the texture, and the other side the top-left? 

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

On 5/26/2020 at 6:00 PM, MindScape said:

Half-Tiles would be really great. There's a lot of different 'tile' building items I'd love to make if I remembered how these days lol (Half-tiles, stair-tiles, ramp-tiles).

In terms of the triangle half-tile, would it be reasonable to just have one side as, i.e., the bottom-right of the texture, and the other side the top-left? 

Just make roof textures triangles and most brick ones. 
Then make circular 45° tiles so that we can combine 4 of them into a circle. 
Then make conic roof textures so we can make proper towers!

Please.

7 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Just make roof textures triangles and most brick ones. 
Then make circular 45° tiles so that we can combine 4 of them into a circle. 
Then make conic roof textures so we can make proper towers!

Please.

circular things would be heavy for your client in mass as tiles are often used. Blizzard does well with "circles" by making them more like a hexadecagon and trying to mask it with other shapes & textures.

Again, I'm not a model dev, so not sure what I can do but I'll see if I can't pass the ideas onto the team ? 

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif