Sign in to follow this  
Miles

"Main Phase" RP

I've been thinking a lot about my old server before the cross-realm play was introduced and it got me thinking about what made it fun. I believe that RP doesn't always have to be high-stakes deep storytelling. In fact, that can hardly become a thing as long as it's too inconvenient for people to go out and find new partners to RP with IC-wise. Today, I was in start, once more, with all the people sitting in the OOC area on an RP server being bored out of their minds. So I wish to propose a solution for that.

For the last ten years or so, Private RP servers were either main phase RP or phase-based RP. I'm sitting here wondering why Epsilon needs to align with just one of the two when we have all the means to create a (main( phase location alongside all of the wonderful phases people host, and I've no doubt it's not too tall of an tall order to get the infrastructure in place. Here's what we need.

1. A main phase location, preferably in a location everyone's very familiar with. Perhaps a canonical place that is Neutral. Unless the staff is willing to make a long-term commitment to ongoing plot.
Judging from how many times I've seen it hosted, Booty Bay can be a good candidate for this. Alternatively Dalaran, or twin-locations that belong to one main faction each.
This is something that we can further go in depth on if the idea gains any traction.

2. An easy, one-click way to get from the Main Phase OOC area to the Main Phase IC area. It should be as simple as clicking a portal somewhere. Maybe using the gossip system recently introduced.

3. Someone that keeps things running in order, the Start-zone ban on spells and auras can obviously not carry over into the IC area. For this I suggest that this IC area is a separate phase with a phase-specific staff selected by Epsilon's staff that operate on the principle of removing people that are making a nuisance of themselves OOCly. As far as IC goes, there should be no rules as to who shows up where. It'd be a hands-off free-for-all. It's important that the IC phase remains completely lenient on what character can show up where. If folks desire stricter IC rules they can already get that in most phases, which often completely deny 'exotics'

Such Roleplay Coordinators can be biased, but if this 'main phase RP' is technically contained within a phase separate from the one that holds Start, it's not the end-all for those that get unjustly sanctioned, logs can be kept, bans can be reviewed without the person ever having been removed from the server altogether. It may even provide a testing ground for people that may grow further to become full staff members.

-

In short, I think it'll provide folks with a lot of convenient, easy IC interaction and give people an alternative to having to afk in OOC all day or to wait for the Phase they like to start hosting.
Naturally I'm also willing to provide any help I can in setting this up.