Sign in to follow this  
Falarson

Custom quests?

Hello! I've been building my own phase for a few weeks now and I'm really starting to feel the need of crafting a playable story within it.

I know Epsilon is designed mostly for a RP crowd in mind, and I could do this as a GM and have some friends come over at a certain time in order to play together, but I wonder if it would be possible to consider a future release with the ability to craft custom quest/questlines in order to build a single player-ready story in our phases.

Other things I would love to be able to customize:

• Class trainers
  • Vendors
  • Profession trainers
  • Simple scripts for NPC, such as walking, emoting and talking when certain criteria is met, or even program it to be repeated at Δ time.

I'm not entirely sure how much of this is within scope of the dev team, but I'd love have the ability to further my creations in Epsilon to this level.

Thanks for the awesome server and community!

i joked about this before, but you guys really want RPG maker in epsilon!

i do not entirely understand the point behind having class trainers and profession trainers when both are redundant (unless you just want them to be there for context?) a single player story seems jarring to me as well, if there's not at least a DM <> player interaction then... well, it's not really RP and won't typically fall into our purview.

vendors is... a thing we do need to do, especially considering the item forge. will be a matter of making sure it plays ball with our other systems.

scripting is something we have on the agenda but the whole system has so much breadth it's very difficult to get a starting point on it, because you have triggers, conditions, actions and while there are systems in place to do this already, they're not interfacable and certainly not straight forward if we were to just expose the database with commands.

quests... is another... thing. sort of falls into the same category as scripting, because you'll want to complete the quests so you need the objectives and you would be surprised how many of the quests in retail are succeded by "kill this dummy npc".

7 hours ago, Razmataz said:

i joked about this before, but you guys really want RPG maker in epsilon!

i do not entirely understand the point behind having class trainers and profession trainers when both are redundant (unless you just want them to be there for context?) a single player story seems jarring to me as well, if there's not at least a DM <> player interaction then... well, it's not really RP and won't typically fall into our purview.

vendors is... a thing we do need to do, especially considering the item forge. will be a matter of making sure it plays ball with our other systems.

scripting is something we have on the agenda but the whole system has so much breadth it's very difficult to get a starting point on it, because you have triggers, conditions, actions and while there are systems in place to do this already, they're not interfacable and certainly not straight forward if we were to just expose the database with commands.

quests... is another... thing. sort of falls into the same category as scripting, because you'll want to complete the quests so you need the objectives and you would be surprised how many of the quests in retail are succeded by "kill this dummy npc".

I mean, it won't be a bad idea to have something like RPG maker in Epsilon, right? ?

I understand the point you're raising regarding the philosophy of the server. In my case, my friend group won't likely be online at the same time and I think crafting a story they can play at their leisure is a much more realistic expectation regarding their schedules. I'm sure there are others with this issue as well. The interaction won't be in real time, but at least we'll have a shared experience regardless of that.

I know about the dummy npc thing. It comes up a lot whenever you do ".lo creature" lol

Anyhow, this is only my reasoning for the suggestion. I'm sure you have your own opinion about this. Thanks for reading the feedback. I'm sure many will appreciate these features, even though it diminishes the role of the "present GM" a little bit.

Take care!

I'm sorry you can't see the value in this, Raz. Don't be so quick to dismiss an idea outside of your personal preference; for some people, it might open the door to doing very interesting things! What about a guided dungeon? A multiplayer micro-RPG? Standardizing a requirement for an events? How about making easter eggs, or funky little fetch-quests to spice up your build?

Epsilon is a great server for guided roleplay; but it also has great potential for people to build RP-PvE mechanics as well. I know I'm not the only person that wants RP with gameplay; and not just one or the other, ya know?

but we're not going to be able to do roleplay with pve here. it's just not compatible with the fundamental structure of the server O.o

we're already investing all our time in making the environment a sandbox, as in an all-gm sandbox. setting up the structure for PvE mechanics is going to be way over our capabilities.

Fair enough. It would be amazing to just have a quest mechanic, since combat and death are technically still workable. I originally joined the server hoping to create an open RPG for players to have fun with; but if it's not possible, it's not possible.

@Falarson

I see what you mean. Although if you know the NPC commands well enough you can make those quest lines quite easily. It will take some work learning the commands but it is very much possible to make custom quests and NPC scrips as well. It just takes some shifting with the commands and using them in creative ways. 

If you want me to show you what I know then please don't hesitate from dming me through discord @Turkish Dad#1453

On 10/10/2021 at 12:05 AM, CoolDude420 said:

Fair enough. It would be amazing to just have a quest mechanic, since combat and death are technically still workable. I originally joined the server hoping to create an open RPG for players to have fun with; but if it's not possible, it's not possible.

You can achieve custom quests with TRP3 Extended.

Same goes for vendors. If you need guidance on that, I'm sure I can offer some valuable info.

Edited by Dove