CJFlipper

Spawning Gobs using Name instead of ID

Currently .gob spawn requires an object ID in order to spawn something in.

If .gob spawn could also work with the object Name then it would make spawning in variations of objects for malls incredibly easy.

For example: I am currently spawning in an Epsilon Custom RockArch WMO's themed after Arathigrass. In order to spawn it in I must type, or have a macro using  .gob spawn 10001353.

There are 37 other Arathigrass RockArch WMOs with slightly differing names. Then there are about 50+ Variations of those 38 gobs (eg. Stormheimgrass, Wildhammergrass, Suramarredgrass) 

If I was able to spawn gobs in using " .gob spawn eps_rockarch2_arathigrass_shelf_02l.wmo " then I could write a script to spawn all 38 objects, then use a "find and replace function" to swap out "arathigrass" to "stormheimgrass" and spawn the next 38, and so on. 

There are many more variations of epsilon objects to spawn (the draconic stuff, plus whatever is added in future), so this functionality would be amazingly useful. 

While i understand completely where you're coming from as a mall maker myself, i couldn't personally see that working very well in the game without a lot of glitches - a lot of objects have the exact same name but are completely different objects, which is why we have the gobject ids to differentiate them. Since the game already has trouble with people just making macros that use two building commands at once, i can't imagine having it try to go through and potentially spawn a bunch of the same gobs at once would work much better

Just realized this may have come off a little rude lmao totally didnt mean to be at all, i think its a good idea in theory! If blizzard didn't have the worst naming conventions known to man it honestly would probably work out

For example of why this won't work, there are a bunch of gobs named 'stool' or 'bench' or 'barrel'. They're named the same exact thing. They would all have to be renamed in that case.