Sign in to follow this  
MindScape

Move Suggestions Forum to Discord Forum

Not sure if we have Discord Forums yet on our server, but if so, it might be worth moving Suggestions to Discord in a forum section. I am in another Discord that handles them like this and it is rather clean, as the forums don't clutter the side bar, as they don't show topics/posts unless you 'follow' one. 

Example from other discord:

image.thumb.png.b5cf87f57f252611c7833ba88e764095.png

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

:( 

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

no pls discord has become so gosh darn laggy and the server itself is bloated to bits.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dove said:

no pls discord has become so gosh darn laggy and the server itself is bloated to bits.

and the forums are any less laggy? Plus forums are just a single 'channel' to add, and idk what 'the server itself is bloated to bits' means tbh. If you've seen any other big discord servers, ours is pretty slim..

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

the forums are only laggy because they use hardware acceleration to function smoothly. there are forum frameworks that run unimaginably smooth and have more content on them than epsilon's do

worse yet, discord is a black hole of information. sequestering every morsel of information away from an easily indexed website, where everything can be sought, archived, and looked at for years after it has been posted, is - in my opinion - one of the worst things you can do to a community focused on collaborative writing, sharing knowledge, and creative discourse

sure, you might say "but they still have to join the discord for <function here>", but why should that discount the forums' use? i have been deeply involved in communities that use both a community discord and the forums, and those communities have functioned well because they separate the long-form discussion from the short-form talking. the only reason the forums of epsilon are not used commonly nowadays is because of a strange and in my opinion completely irrational aversion to forums in general that has absolutely no basis in reality. i've seen people say it's a vehicle for drama and nothing else, but it's absolutely foolish to think that simply removing a medium that isn't used otherwise will suddenly "kill the drama" -- whatever that "drama" is

more pertinently, though, i think we should encourage the use of the forums and, if people really have widespread performance issues on them (i swear it's a hardware acceleration thing; i turned it on in my browser settings (i'm pretty sure its supposed to be on by default) and now they run smooth as butter), changing the forum's frontent framework should be considered instead. moving the forums onto discord might make it "more accessible" to players, but you will literally lose every scrap of information when the discord server is deleted

sure, it might not happen now, but it will happen at one point. you cannot archive discord servers. you cannot archive discord forums. you can archive forums.

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

1 hour ago, Erkor said:

I only asked for “Suggestions” section to move, not delete the whole forums man.

And shoot, they could co exist and the Chatbot could even sync them.. that would be pretty cool 

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

?

i just want the forums to stay i guess the suggestions subforum can go to the discord but i dont want everything else to move please pleapsle pleasep

Edited by Erkor

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

On 10/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, MindScape said:

and the forums are any less laggy? Plus forums are just a single 'channel' to add, and idk what 'the server itself is bloated to bits' means tbh. If you've seen any other big discord servers, ours is pretty slim..

you could probably add the speed at which people post as 'bloated' too. personally I often feel like I lose track in discord and by the time I catch up things already shifted. information just gets lost in the chatter. naturally it feels like people take their time to write something on the forums, so a new post is more nuanced as opposed to someone just saying "fr" in a quick discord message (now pair that with 50+ active people partaking in a conversation).

discord servers are known to be biased and cliquey, even when it comes to serious suggestion responses - and epsilon is definitely not an exception. the slight anonymity provided by the forums can feel nice. i know you are advocating for accessibility first and foremost which is ?but i think erkor also makes a good point by saying separate long-form discussion from short-form conversation to decrease chit chatter naturally

but yeah I'm also personally not into moving the entire thing there. coexisting is a fair compromise. 

Edited by Dove

21 minutes ago, Dove said:

you could probably add the speed at which people post as 'bloated' too. personally I often feel like I lose track in discord and by the time I catch up things already shifted. information just gets lost in the chatter. naturally it feels like people take their time to write something on the forums, so a new post is more nuanced as opposed to someone just saying "fr" in a quick discord message (now pair that with 50+ active people partaking in a conversation).

discord servers are known to be biased and cliquey, even when it comes to serious suggestion responses - and epsilon is definitely not an exception. the slight anonymity provided by the forums can feel nice. i know you are advocating for accessibility first and foremost which is ?but i think erkor also makes a good point by saying separate long-form discussion from short-form conversation to decrease chit chatter naturally

but yeah I'm also personally not into moving the entire thing there. coexisting is a fair compromise. 

You make good points. I figured people would treat Discord forums similar to web-forums and not 'chitchat' in the threads, hopefully. I am now advocating for a sync'd discord forum <-> web forum for suggestions ?

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

3 minutes ago, MindScape said:

You make good points. I figured people would treat Discord forums similar to web-forums and not 'chitchat' in the threads, hopefully. I am now advocating for a sync'd discord forum <-> web forum for suggestions ?

i dont know how it'd go, i think both options have their pros, it's just the cons that necessitate the separation. any effort to maintain both is a step in the right direction, so thanks for the determination and good luck with that ?