Ouroboros

Blueprint Naming Error

• Type of Bug: Invalid characters allowed in blueprint names.

• Description: If a space is included in the name of a blueprint, it will return a success at saving it, but then become impossible to spawn or interact with using that name.

• Evidence (Chat message/Screenshot): Attached screenshot.

• Steps to reproduce: Create a blueprint, include a space in the name, then attempt to spawn the blueprint with that name. It will return an invalid result; the ID can still be used to delete, spawn etc but the name function is broken. By comparison a blueprint without spaces in the name can be successfully interacted with using that name.

• Expected result: Blueprint should either return a refused request to include spaces in the name, or if allowed, succeed at spawning them using that string.

• Observed result: Blueprint instead successfully saves as a now invalid name; compared attempts with and without space in the name, without space succeeds.

• Reproduction rate: 100%.

BPFail.png

Edited by Ouroboros

i don't understand, it literally says at the top line that when using spaces in the blueprint name you need to use the id or chatlink.

1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

i don't understand, it literally says at the top line that when using spaces in the blueprint name you need to use the id or chatlink.

reading is a dying skill

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

I am blind, but also; if spawning blueprints via name is permissible, why explicitly break them if spaces are included?

Edited by Ouroboros

13 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

It says it's required, but it's not. You can still spawn blueprints by their name; hence the above issue. If it's permissible to spawn blueprints via name entry, it should also have standards across the board such as either permitting or denying spaced names. If it's unintended that you be able to spawn blueprints via name entry, then that itself is the bug.

It says what is required? And you said in your original post that you're unable to spawn them with a spaced name, and showed an example? Now you're contradicting yourself and I am confused. 

To be clear, it says If you use a spaced name, then you CANNOT use the spaced name for any other blueprint commands, you need to use the ID or chatlink. That said, the inverse is true: If you DIDN'T use a spaced name, you CAN use the name. No bug spotted. 

Basically: Your choice to use spaced names or not, and it gives you a warning if you do only use their ID or link.

Edited by MindScape

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

2 hours ago, MindScape said:

It says what is required? And you said in your original post that you're unable to spawn them with a spaced name, and showed an example? Now you're contradicting yourself and I am confused. 

To be clear, it says If you use a spaced name, then you CANNOT use the spaced name for any other blueprint commands, you need to use the ID or chatlink. That said, the inverse is true: If you DIDN'T use a spaced name, you CAN use the name. No bug spotted. 

Basically: Your choice to use spaced names or not, and it gives you a warning if you do only use their ID or link.

Essentially the question is; why is this the way it is? If the limitation of adding spaces invalidates the use of blueprint names is intentional, why is it so? Or is this a case of the code behind calling blueprint names breaks if you use a space and it's not worth the effort to try and remedy that?

26 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Essentially the question is; why is this the way it is? If the limitation of adding spaces invalidates the use of blueprint names is intentional, why is it so? Or is this a case of the code behind calling blueprint names breaks if you use a space and it's not worth the effort to try and remedy that?

I am not Raz, who wrote blueprints, but I assume it's along the lines of, say, you try and use ".go blue share $name $player - Well both name & player can have a space. Commands by default separate the text by a space, so you can't do a space in $name otherwise it thinks the 2nd part of the name (i.e., "Test" in "Ouro Test") is the players name. A fix for this would be using " " around blueprint name there I suppose but that takes much more effort & parsing the line then (i.e., if this arg starts with a ", then continue until we find the next arg that ends in a ", and combine them all into one, then do again for player name). It's way less efficient than just saying "Use the ID or chat link (which extracts the ID)". 

Less applicable to the commands that ends in just the BP name, but for consistency I believe it's better to not support spaced names. Why are they allowed to be set tho with a spaced name? Probably because Raz expected people to try that by default and didn't want someone to have "The Shop" and then also try and save "The Castle" and have both as just "The".. lol..  (Again tho, I am not Raz, so this is all speculation..)

Edited by MindScape

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

yes, the big trouble is that spaces are a delimiter, yet some things use spaces. even player names, for instance...

i didn't want people to suffer from yucky .lookup blueprint lists where everything has to be CamelCase to be tolerable. spaces are much nicer aesthetically.