nvsbeatbox

[Guide] How to Roleplay a worgen

Worgen are one of the hardest 'races' to get right in roleplay, you're either good at them, somewhat good at them but do some stuff wrongly, or just cringeworthy and hated by all.

But don't worry, I'm here to go over some stuff about worgen I feel people tend to gloss over, forget or just do wrong.

Two Forms

As a worgen, your character had two different forms. Their worgen, and human form, if you roleplay a feral or worgen death knight, you don't have these two forms. Now, I see a lot of worgen roleplayers staying their worgen form almost 24/7, which there's nothing wrong with but remember that not even Genn appears in his worgen form every time he's on screen, usually he's in it when in combat or entering combat, and if you're confused on when your worgen character should enter worgen form, I generally roleplay it as a last resort to get out of trouble.

Now, the transformation itself is something I see done wrong many times. The first thing you need to realize is that, your body is literally twisting, contorting and growing in a matter of seconds or minutes. That would be pretty painful, and another thing you need to realise, your clothes don't grow with you. So when Genn transforms into his worgen form he loses almost all pieces of clothing except his pants. So you can't just shift in full plate, because the likelihood is that you'll just burst because plate won't grow with your or rip away. But worgen transformations aren't as quick as Blizzard would show it to be, they'd likely take half a minute to a minute at least. Though don't use this as an excuse to suddenly appear naked in worgen form when transforming, retain at least some level of decency please.

Ritual of Balance

The Ritual of Balance is the ritual all sane worgen have gone through, and it involves eating Moonleaf to assist the mind in preparing for the ritual, and drinking water from the moon wells that recalls traumatic and peaceful events in your character's past. And they would be forced to come to terms with past guilt and regret so they may gain balance of one's self, and allowing them to shift into their human form once again after beast and human have been brought together in balance.

Undead

There are very few undead worgen around, and the only undead worgen around are Death Knights, as only the Lich King had the power to bring them back into undeath. Worgen are -very- difficult to raise into undeath due to the curse's connection to Goldrinn and Elune. But worgen Death Knights have supposed 'flaw', they cannot shift into human form and are likely more feral than their living, Gilnean counterparts due to originally being one of Arugal's worgen that escaped from Arugal, somehow and killed by the Scourge.

Appearance

Worgen appearance is clearly influenced by werewolves, from being a half man, half wolf crossbreed. But they have a few rules in their appearance. I've seen some worgen disgracefully give themself a tail, worgen have never had tails and will never have tails it's just something they don't have. And worgen fur colour ranges from blacks, to greys, to brown to shades of ginger and even white. Their eye colours consist of mostly reds, oranges, blues and greens. Worgen are also naturally muscular and retain a natural hunch, their teeth are naturally sharp and their bodies are built to run long distances very quickly, and on all fours. Worgen can also grow a form of 'beard', which grows from their chin.

Senses

Worgen senses are superior to regular senses in every way, they're able to smell animals from long distances, smell lingering scents in the air, and most importantly be able to smell blood. Their sight is incredibly clear, and worgen who once wore glasses would no longer need to in human or worgen form. Their hearing is perceptive, able to hear whispered conversations, footsteps, breathing and most likely heartbeats if they tried hard enough.

Recommended Things to Read

First of all, you should read Curse of the Worgen. It goes over many of the things in this guide, senses, history and how long it takes from the initial bite to become a worgen.

Secondly, you should read any wow-related wiki, be it WoWWiki or Wowpedia.

And thirdly, if you're able, just go through the worgen starting zone and read the quest text.

I likely missed a lot of things in this guide, but this is mostly just the basics you need to start roleplaying. Please make me aware of any errors, grammatical or lore-related as nobody's perfect. And ask any questions, as I'll try to get back to you as quickly as possible. I'll probably make an updated guide in the future, who knows.

Abridged version for the undiscerning reader:

- Worgen are werewolves basically.

a) they turn into big wolfmen
 b) they DO NOT HAVE TAILS MOM
 c) they are strong, big, powerful and their noses smell everything good and bad...
 d) they can't be zombies... but if they are then they're very powerful zombies
 e) a magic ritual lets them not be real werewolves and just toggle at will unless... you piss them off >:)
 f) if u piss them off they lose clothes because of how powerful they grow too so beware

I likely missed a lot of things in this guide, but this is mostly just the basics you need to start roleplaying. Please make me aware of any errors, grammatical or lore-related as nobody's perfect. And ask any questions, as I'll try to get back to you as quickly as possible. I'll probably make an updated guide in the future, who knows.

Edited by shadowbunny88

34 minutes ago, nvsbeatbox said:

But worgen transformations aren't as quick as Blizzard would show it to be, they'd likely take half a minute to a minute at least.

??

35 minutes ago, nvsbeatbox said:

But worgen Death Knights have supposed 'flaw', they cannot shift into human form and are likely more feral than their living, Gilnean counterparts due to originally being one of Arugal's worgen that escaped from Arugal, somehow and killed by the Scourge.

You can easily clean this sentence up by removing the 'flaw' bit, as it only makes the following bit awkward. Worgen Death Knights are of Arugal, there are no flaws as there were no Human forms for them.

37 minutes ago, nvsbeatbox said:

I've seen some worgen disgracefully give themself a tail, worgen have never had tails and will never have tails it's just something they don't have.

Unfortunately some roleplayers would like to be a Neopet instead of abiding by Blizzard's vision.

38 minutes ago, nvsbeatbox said:

Secondly, you should read any wow-related wiki, be it WoWWiki or Wowpedia.

WoWWiki is not updated as frequently nor as accurately as Wowpedia, I'd suggest removing that one as an option.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest you link the articles about Worgen in your post for convenience, which can be found here, here, here and here

--

My shameless nitpicking aside, this is an overall good guide that can assist Worgen players in all ranges.

edkEI8P.png

https://curiouscat.me/mordred

Ask me anything, server related or no.

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

??

You can easily clean this sentence up by removing the 'flaw' bit, as it only makes the following bit awkward. Worgen Death Knights are of Arugal, there are no flaws as there were no Human forms for them.

Unfortunately some roleplayers would like to be a Neopet instead of abiding by Blizzard's vision.

WoWWiki is not updated as frequently nor as accurately as Wowpedia, I'd suggest removing that one as an option.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest you link the articles about Worgen in your post for convenience, which can be found here, here, here and here

--

My shameless nitpicking aside, this is an overall good guide that can assist Worgen players in all ranges.

Thanks for the feedbank, bro. :)

step 1: get a tophat

step 2: aquire brittish accent

step 3: be a gentleman

step 4: only turn into a worgen when you fear your character's death

step 5: be overpowered temporarily to save your character's death

step 6: fucking wanka mate

step 7: rifle

step 8: .mod scale 1.3

step 9: TRP3 title "alpha"

there u go

18 hours ago, nvsbeatbox said:

WoWWiki

You are dead to me.

In all seriousness, there are some thing people already pointed out about this guide. You draw some stuff from non-canon sources and your personal feelings. If you want to make an objective guide, use the actual lore for it. Now, not saying guides being subjective is bad, I'm just saying that if you are sharing your personal feelings on the matter, you shouldn't start the guide with this:

18 hours ago, nvsbeatbox said:

Worgen are one of the hardest 'races' to get right in roleplay, you're either good at them, somewhat good at them but do some stuff wrongly, or just cringeworthy and hated by all.

But don't worry, I'm here to go over some stuff about worgen I feel people tend to gloss over, forget or just do wrong.

unknown.png

I am not sure if it was ever stated how they actually transform, we don't really know if it takes a bit of time, or if it's "instant" like the druid transformations, unless it was stated otherwise somewhere? 

The transformation from worgen to human is almost instant, a few seconds. I assume from human to worgen it would be the same

P.S. This guide has many mistakes in it, not really worth reading.

Edited by Vojtik

1 hour ago, Vojtik said:

The transformation from worgen to human is almost instant, a few seconds. I assume from human to worgen it would be the same

P.S. This guide has many mistakes in it, not really worth reading.

You have been rather negative recently, I am not so sure your voice means anything anylonger.

This is still a guide, an attempt to make roleplay even better than it already is. Nothing is ever not worth reading, save for the mindless, 'meh'-like rants of @Vojtik. Do not be discouraged. It is still a good guide.

I never said it's not a decent summary of some basic information about worgen. However as a guide on to "HOW TO ROLEPLAY" it offers close to no advice.

4 minutes ago, Vojtik said:

I never said it's not a decent summary of some basic information about worgen. However as a guide on to "HOW TO ROLEPLAY" it offers close to no advice.

That's just objectively wrong. Read it again and tell me it doesn't offer advice please. Pointless negative energies.

Objectively I learn that worgen have 2 forms, look exactly as they appear, have somewhat heighten senses and if they are not feral they go through some special ritual. +that bit about undead resistance. That's all well and good, but it is just bare basic.

It is exactly what he says and I'm not saying it is wrong, but for something called a guide it's on the weaker side.

Adding an extra must read to better understand your worgen Lord of His Pack. Although it focuses on Genn, it offers introspect into a worgen.