ArvickCorpsebane

[Interest Check] A Warhammer 40K Roleplay

So. I'm not writing this as a joke, as much as I know some of you would like this to be one. But I have been thinking about 40K a lot lately as a possible alternative to the classical WoW setting. Different assets from the 40K universe are not very hard to portray in WoW besides more specific stuff like weaponry and vehicles. (Though I suppose if it is really needed, there are people handy enough with patches to port over some DoW assets.) But regardless of any of that, how much would you guys be interested in having the Grim Darkness of the far future here on Epsilon? Of course, it would be taking place in a completely segregated phase with no connection to Warcraft whatsoever, so we wouldn't disturb the natural flow of roleplay outside of it.

The Plot would most likely be set during 8th edition, meaning while all this crazy stuff with Ynnead and Rowboat Girlyman is happening. My original intent is and was to focus the scale of the conflict on one system alone with few planets and some variety. The system in question would be a former Imperial Agri-World (and few other planets) that faces an incursion of chaos after the galaxy was ripped in half. Furthermore, Tyranids from Hive Fleet Kraken are an imminent threat to the system alongside with an approaching Green Tide ready for a massive WAAAGH! in name of Gork and Mork. In retaliation, the Imperium of Man sends Adeptus Astartes and members of the Astra Militarum to the system in order to stop the incursion. (yes, I called it by its High Gothic name, call me normie if you want.)

I haven't thought on how to implement Eldar and Tau into all of this. But they suck anyways, so if somebody actually wants those around tell me down below.

As for the races, I think those are easy to convey. Obviously, there are many races in 40K, so I would imagine our conflict will be limited to a few of them. These are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Orkz - Orcs

Gretchin - Goblins

Mankind - Humans

Chaos Marines - Humans undead skins

Squats - Dwarves *BLAM*

Ratlings - Gnomes

Ogryns - Hobgoblins/Ogres

Daemons - Demons

Eldar - Blood Elves

Dark Eldar - Undead Blood Elves skins

Tyranids - Bug models

Tau - Draenei

If you have any more ideas for races, feel free to leave them here. This topic exists just to give me a rough idea if people would be interested in actual 40K roleplay. I'm open to suggestions and criticism from the community regarding anything from the plot to the actual setting. Nothing I set in stone until I know what you guys thing.

PS: While I already have the Ebon Highguard, this would be my passion project for whenever I'm not busy with the guild. I have enough free time to work on both projects and if this ever happens, I will be treating the Highguard and this with equal care.

unknown.png

Here's how to convert Warcraft to grimdark 40k setting.

Alliance losses amounted to nearly 50,000 dead

Multiple this number by ~100, so follow this equation.

0/3

How many Stormwind Guardsmen died during the War against the Lich King?

50,000 dead times X = grimdark Stormwind Guard (Imperial Guard) casualties.
X = ~100
50,000 dead times ~100 = 5,000,000

5,000,000 Stormwind Guard deaths.

Answer Check

8ed0b0eba7c87e752f6e39f148a5482f.png

Answer is: ✔, 2/3 marks scored for completing two step equation format properly. 1/3 lost for answer off target.

14 million Stormwind Guardsmen and hundreds of Alliance Paladins were lost during the campaign in Northrend.

I feel a bit confused about this because how much sci-fi would be allowed? I don't really feel good about OP space ninjas...

3 minutes ago, Vojtik said:

For 40K newbies, races:

Reveal hidden contents

A3xF8pN.jpg

tenor (1).gif

31 minutes ago, PinkyNeko said:

I feel a bit confused about this because how much sci-fi would be allowed? I don't really feel good about OP space ninjas...

OP space ninjas?

Do you even 40K?

Well, there are the Eldar but no decent human being plays those because they are weeb trash.

unknown.png

38 minutes ago, ArvickCorpsebane said:

OP space ninjas?

Do you even 40K?

Well, there are the Eldar but no decent human being plays those because they are weeb trash.

I painted some of the warhammer models for the tabletop games and I played some of that. Never the actual game though.

1 minute ago, Vojtik said:

Warhammer, not Warframe

Well...

1 hour ago, ArvickCorpsebane said:

^ some of those models look like space ninjas to me.

And as I said before I haven't played the actual game, only a few tabletop games. I can only speak for that, not for the game's content.

This would be better resolved in a game like Roll20, outside of WoW. Interesting idea to have the story set in 8e (Considering none of the other RPGs have updated), but WoW is about as far as you can get from 40k from a visual standpoint. 

3 hours ago, Brune21 said:

Cannot wait for the tactical genius to plant some scout warhound titans.

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

3 hours ago, Valrik said:

but WoW is about as far as you can get from 40k from a visual standpoint. 

From a storytelling standpoint? Definitely.

From a visual one? Yeah... no. I dunno how much attention you've been playing to recent WoW assets (especially tier sets ever since burning crusade) but WoW is very much visually inspired by Warhammer. Big, bulky shoulderpads. Blend of Sci-fi and Fantasy (now more than ever) Not to mention, the in-game Orc models are more similar to Orkz than they are to actual Orcs from Warcraft. Besides all of this, you can always sprinkle in a bit of imagination and some creative ideas.

This would be better resolved in a game like Roll20, outside of WoW.

Meh, if you think so. Roll20 isn't exactly my type of medium. I enjoy WoW much better as a roleplaying platform. I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but the way you're putting it sounds more like you're trying to keep non-wow related RP outside of Epsilon. Please, don't get mad. It's just what it feels like to me. I mean no offense.

(Considering none of the other RPGs have updated)

The main reason why I picked eight edition. The story is moving once in a blood moon and some of this stuff has serious roleplaying potential.

Edited by ArvickCorpsebane

unknown.png

Just now, ArvickCorpsebane said:

From a visual one? Yeah... no. I dunno how much attention you've been playing to recent WoW assets (especially tier sets ever since burning crusade) but WoW is very much visually inspired by Warhammer. Big, bulky shoulderpads. Blend of Sci-fi and Fantasy (now more than ever) Not to mention, the in-game Orc models are more similar to Orkz than they are to actual Orcs from Warcraft. Besides all of this, you can always sprinkle in a bit of imagination and some creative ideas.

Blizzard has a very unique and cartoony artstyle which is seen across all of its games. Warhammer tried to emulate this with its latest release, DoW3

Needless to say, people consider one of DoW3's critical issues as its blizzard-like artstyle. Maybe there is inspiration, but ultimately Warhammer is a very gritty setting. Even the comedic shoulderpads are portrayed in a very grungy and realistic light.

16 minutes ago, Valrik said:

Blizzard has a very unique and cartoony artstyle which is seen across all of its games. Warhammer tried to emulate this with its latest release, DoW3

Needless to say, people consider one of DoW3's critical issues as its blizzard-like artstyle. Maybe there is inspiration, but ultimately Warhammer is a very gritty setting. Even the comedic shoulderpads are portrayed in a very grungy and realistic light.

WoW is more cartoony than any 40K games out there. Even the black sheep like DoW3 and Eternal Crusade. Fair. But I still fail to see how any of that restricts you from portraying the grimdark feel. Taking a casual stroll through Duskwood should be enough to enforce that idea. It's all about how you build it. I have done some test building on RPH in the past and rest assured, the results were satisfying enough. You just really gotta focus on the darker aspects of WoW. Not everything in the game is bouncy and colorful.

unknown.png

The last time I came across "Warhammer 40k roleplayers" on a WoW server was early Defiance, and a trio of 'ork boyz' at an elven lodge. Oh, the horror.

Just now, Voodoo said:

The last time I came across "Warhammer 40k roleplayers" on a WoW server was early Defiance, and a trio of 'ork boyz' at an elven lodge. Oh, the horror.

No.

unknown.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Khornate Berserkers and their ilk. I love the Warhammer universe, but using WoW as a medium is probably not a great idea. That being said, a lot of the armor from WoD does look like space marine power armor.

47 minutes ago, ArvickCorpsebane said:

WoW is more cartoony than any 40K games out there. Even the black sheep like DoW3 and Eternal Crusade. Fair. But I still fail to see how any of that restricts you from portraying the grimdark feel. Taking a casual stroll through Duskwood should be enough to enforce that idea. It's all about how you build it. I have done some test building on RPH in the past and rest assured, the results were satisfying enough. You just really gotta focus on the darker aspects of WoW. Not everything in the game is bouncy and colorful.

Relegating the RP to a few dark zones doesn't sound particularly fun at all. If you want to bring warhammer here, I really think it'd be better off with WHFB- considering that it isn't nearly as grimdark.

3 minutes ago, Valrik said:

Relegating the RP to a few dark zones doesn't sound particularly fun at all. If you want to bring warhammer here, I really think it'd be better off with WHFB- considering that it isn't nearly as grimdark.

I was using them as an example to justify that assets from WoW can create a grimdark aesthetic. I never said I would use the old world only. Besides, grimdark itself is more complex than that. It's more than just art assets.

Anyways, I clearly see people are not interested in this.

Edited by ArvickCorpsebane

unknown.png

5 hours ago, Bonky said:

I'd be so down for this if it was on a Feudal World. I think it could work wonderfully, you could even use some Golem or Shredder morphs for Knights and the like. I think it'd be better to do E7, before the Robot Gigglytan shenanigans and all the ecksbawks huge warp stuff going on.

You could put Tauren as Beastmen.

Navigators (Astropaths), Nightsiders and Felinid could just be Humans I suppose.

why GW :(

I have been considering either an Agri-World or a Death World so that I could paint a better environment with WoW assets. I'm not sure if Feudal World would really work since the Imperium and Chaos are going to bring in all the technology regardless. As for your suggestions, I'm not sure how well would Shredders portray Titans, but WoW has quite a few mechanical things that would totally fit in. (The Arakkoa golems for example) - Shredders should maybe stay as a looted ork  alternative to these.

5 hours ago, Bonky said:

Felinid could just be Humans I suppose.

unknown.png

Feudal World would be good (personally like it lot more than 40K), I think the Empire and Dwarf technology is quite similar to what dwarfs and gnomes have. And for the godly stuff (luminarks and such) I would go with Draenei stuff (or Army of Light once we get 7.3). For chaos legion machines mill do

For Titans I would go with Legion constructs (I think they are great or the job).

4 hours ago, Vojtik said:

For Titans I would go with Legion constructs (I think they are great or the job).

Fel Reavers for Titans would work. If we ever go for such an overkill as a Titan. If this happens at all.

unknown.png