Sign in to follow this  
Insomnia

My Truest Concerns, an open letter to the staff.

Dear staff team,

I truly think there are a few things that need to be voiced.  First and foremost, I feel that there is a massive disconnection between the community and the staff team.  Many of us are left in the dark as to what you are currently working on and what you are doing in future.  This is never a good thing to have within a private server, much more a roleplay one.  I know you have been borderline attacked in past for just this sort of thing, so allow me to condense it in a way that is easy to understand and more effectively use.  

We require and need the bridge to be made, if it means you use the announcements channel a lot more for what you are doing currently and your plans for future?  Do it.  If you start using the @everyone tag more often, do it.  We as a people need more connection.  We need to know what’s happening so we can effectively gather out ideas and hopes and send them to you.  You need to know what we want just as much as we need to understand what you want.  This brings me to my next point.

I think that there have been a few examples of moderation that was...Too strict at best.  Though I won’t mention names here and I have also spoken to these people, I ask that in future you take some time to consider before muting someone.  Muting should be a last cause when someone is causing widespread chaos.  Perhaps multiple GMs should come together and agree before muting someone, and if not then you must be -sure- they are causing trouble that requires a mute.  Otherwise, it’ll on rise more chaos than that of which you seek to silence.

Priorities, of course you in the end will probably come up with something better than I could ever imagine, due to this being what you do.  I do ask that you have priorities in line, I think a phase management system not unlike RPH’s .phase list command is needed.  I know it is currently in the works, and I thank you for that.  But you need to get the fundamentals of a server down and quick.  These are the things that’ll bring the community to life, this is what will get people out of start and Rping.  This is all coming from me wishing for nothing more than this server to live, thrive and survive in the coming years.  I truly do not wish to see this server fall to the likes of RPH.  So I ask you to heed these words and come to understand why I speak them.

I thank you for your time, and effort.  Truly. If you can keep determined like you currently are and with good priorities, you will survive and we will be just fine.  But these are the moments that truly matter, the beginning is where is begins.  It’s all about first impressions.  

Edited by Insomnia

fdfgsdfgs.png

In past years I had often said that any role-play server is a community effort. This is still true today.

I am less interested in how strict our moderators are; activity and communication are the largest areas of improvement. It is mildly disheartening to mention a staff member in a conversation and have the recipient ask me, "Who is that?"

I think I made my stance on this clear earlier in Discord. If we heard more directly from a more active staff team and received fewer blanket responses, (e.g. some of the debacles we have had in #politics or #images in the case of this thread) many of these issues would resolve themselves in time. Players want to be shown that the staff team cares.

Edited by Witch

Epsilon_Ohana.png

I actually agree with a lot of this.

I've been distant from the community the last two weeks or so due to work (I know, generic excuse, but honestly I've been pulling 48 hours a week because my finances are a priority for me). I used to be very good about communicating about projects I was working on and giving people sneak peeks into behind the scenes bits and pieces. I plan to return to doing that.

While I'm also not going to point out specific examples, I do agree that in certain cases, we've been a bit too hard on punishments. That being said, ultimately, punishments come down to a majority vote.

I know we've been saying this since the launch of open beta, but a phase listing tool is coming. We've hit some snags in development due to changes to the team roster that handles addons and external development, but we're still plugging away at it. In the mean time, I've proposed some temporary alternative commands to Azarchius and Deramyr.

Forwarded this to #staff to get some additional voices in here. Thank you.

Hmm. This is a sticky situation on me there. For me, it's a bit of a concern where I have seen other private servers out there in the past where, when faced with community backlash for a decision they decided to double down on it. This has almost never been the good decision though, it creates polarized groups that hate the staff team. And unlike some other situations, a love it or leave it attitude can really strangle a server. Especially since right now, Pepsi's a little dry. It's not like it's a massive server with huge groups of people to drop. And... the way it was settled was disheartening to say the least. I'd actually voiced immediate concerns about this early on to some members of staff when Epsilon wasn't even released yet. If everyone has stepped up against an action that's been taken, even if it's a riotous bunch of memery in response, it should probably be watched - and not just stomped on over and over again to try and put it out.

I was told, quite some time ago at that point - exactly quoted
" A staff member will sooner resign if they have accrued a very bad reputation, regardless if it is earned or not. "
Among other notations that the staff's connection with the community and it's reputation among them is of utmost importance. So, seeing a kind of literal 'stifle the dissent' thing... it's like corking up a volcano. It doesnt fix things. It doesn't make people repentant, it makes them angry.

At least with loud anger you know what's going on and can fix the problem... once it goes quiet, instead... well. It gets harder.

So, I guess mostly it amounts to. Stop goddamn scaring me, figure out the situation please, I kind of threw a lot of faith into Pepsi and it's scaring me. >:I

This kinda stuff has to be both ways. There's not really any point in trying if only one side of the void makes any attempt to bridge whatever gap is unhealthily straining the player - staff relation. 

Solution? Work together, build strong bonds with your peers (inclusive of staff). Turn this into a place that you enjoy visiting and put your faith and positive vibes into the administration to ensure that it remains a fun place to be for both sides of the spectrum.

I would just state that anyone that has been muted and stayed muted is always for good reasons, I have had my own problems and had deal with them and it did nothing but make me a better person. It isn't correct in anyway that  A staff member will sooner resign if they have accrued a very bad reputation, regardless if it is earned or not. " should even be a thing. @Tia & @Azarchius have been keeping all of us updated and whats soon to come and it's a bit uncalled for to say that us as players are disconnected from the knowledge of what is up and coming for that server and it's additions. AmJZiLW.png is the main source other then voice chat or direct messages to keep up with whats happening everyday with the server's development, the only thing I can get out this is perhaps saying the staff members besides @Tia & @Azarchius should be more present in the public eye. The staff team has been nothing short but very fair to us and I think that will continue due to the professionalism that I have seen so far with me time here....

Azarchius has just got back to his desk and computer to but his blood, sweat, and tears into this server and it's shown everyday and more people should be getting evolved in staying update with the progress instead of sitting there and whining how it's not being force fed to them in a formal announcement everyday when that time could be spent doing much more productive things to better this server and it's hopes and dreams, which would also amount more clutter and overall mess. Everyone needs to give him sometimes and just think to yourself everyday when you been to whine about the server and it's missing pieces "What would happen if I was Azar right now? Should I really push myself to limit?" there also has been progress shown in-game everyday and if there is ever a emergency on the server with for example a bad bad bad spell that needs to be removed you can always shoot Azar a cute little message like I do every know and then.

Example

JB3KGfZ.png

I hear everyday someone whining about how the server is stale and how there isn't anything for them to do when there is very much so to do. It's called creating phasing and other things and trying new things that you may not want to do, it comes down to simple thing that everyone wants things force fed to them and it simply just can not happen. Yes the server is far from it's full potential but it's not like there is limited creation tools and at this point it's quality of life things that are needing to be added and will take a sure bit while of time and also forgot to mention that people have lives they need to tend to and not everyone can sit on their bums all day and work day and not for people that barely appreciate a single damn thing that has been done so far in the timeline since start to now. If there is people you don't like then learn the simple skill of avoiding them and trying your damnist to avoid conflict and problems and heartaches and it's really not that hard people! Also you won't run into conflict easier if you do this thing called follow the rules! tenor.gif

The main leading admins have also being doing their hardest to stop conflicts and current communities wish to do nothing but taunt the admins and then look the finger and begin supremely immature and it's far too much already and everyone should take a rain check on their on situations and learn things from past mistakes and see what they can fix and use 5SGfnfT.png for "IMAGES" giphy.gif and cut the stupid shit and learn to handle yourselves.

Edited by Avere

Image result for background sunshine  200 x 200

I think you misunderstand, JJ.  I'm not trying to upset or make anyone's life harder.  The updates section is a bit lackluster, to be frank.  We need it to feel alive, a community where the general channels aren't shit posting.  We don't need intense moderation set into place, we need to talk as a community about what we want.  What we need.  What we feel.  

Whilst I will take what you say into account, perhaps you may not be disconnected.  But a lot of us are.  That much I can say as a -fact-.  Due to many people telling me over time that they have no clue what's going on.  And simply observing that people don't know.

fdfgsdfgs.png

Azarchius is an amazing individual, and I do mostly chug along about the notion that - even though there haven't been updates, I trust that he will come through. I have faith in the things he's said to me even still.

I will say though that I disagree with that notion. Right now, because of the instability of the server situation. The fact that some of the hype has fizzled because of a lack of updates - not really anyone at fault for that, but it's still done some damage - a my-way-or-the-highway approach to it wasn't a good idea. There's no situation where that was going to be a victory, and now where enforcement actions are supposed to make people repentant. Know that they were doing something wrong, and whether or not they feel bad it should be clear enough to everyone else as well.

This is not that. Nobody who's been banned feels like it's deserved. That's a big deal. That means all of those mutes, and the *actual account ban* that occurred are completely ineffective for their true purpose.

Other than the server being only about 1 month old the fact that @Azarchius hasn't had a computer for 2 weeks might've been what caused some of these problems. I think you are right about some of what you say but I believe that it will be fixed as the server grows both in popularity and age.

The things Azar and the addon creators has done for this server in such a small amount of time is incredible, also shout out to @Tia for keeping us updated and answering questions on discord.

Edited by Morgus

29 minutes ago, Avere said:

I would just state that anyone that has been muted and stayed muted is always for good reasons, I have had my own problems and had deal with them and it did nothing but make me a better person. It isn't correct in anyway that  A staff member will sooner resign if they have accrued a very bad reputation, regardless if it is earned or not. " should even be a thing. @Tia & @Azarchius have been keeping all of us updated and whats soon to come and it's a bit uncalled for to say that us as players are disconnected from the knowledge of what is up and coming for that server and it's additions. AmJZiLW.png is the main source other then voice chat or direct messages to keep up with whats happening everyday with the server's development, the only thing I can get out this is perhaps saying the staff members besides @Tia & @Azarchius should be more present in the public eye. The staff team has been nothing short but very fair to us and I think that will continue due to the professionalism that I have seen so far with me time here....

Azarchius has just got back to his desk and computer to but his blood, sweat, and tears into this server and it's shown everyday and more people should be getting evolved in staying update with the progress instead of sitting there and whining how it's not being force fed to them in a formal announcement everyday when that time could be spent doing much more productive things to better this server and it's hopes and dreams, which would also amount more clutter and overall mess. Everyone needs to give him sometimes and just think to yourself everyday when you been to whine about the server and it's missing pieces "What would happen if I was Azar right now? Should I really push myself to limit?" there also has been progress shown in-game everyday and if there is ever a emergency on the server with for example a bad bad bad spell that needs to be removed you can always shoot Azar a cute little message like I do every know and then.

Example

JB3KGfZ.png

I hear everyday someone whining about how the server is stale and how there isn't anything for them to do when there is very much so to do. It's called creating phasing and other things and trying new things that you may not want to do, it comes down to simple thing that everyone wants things force fed to them and it simply just can not happen. Yes the server is far from it's full potential but it's not like there is limited creation tools and at this point it's quality of life things that are needing to be added and will take a sure bit while of time and also forgot to mention that people have lives they need to tend to and not everyone can sit on their bums all day and work day and not for people that barely appreciate a single damn thing that has been done so far in the timeline since start to now. If there is people you don't like then learn the simple skill of avoiding them and trying your damnist to avoid conflict and problems and heartaches and it's really not that hard people! Also you won't run into conflict easier if you do this thing called follow the rules! tenor.gif

The main leading admins have also being doing their hardest to stop conflicts and current communities wish to do nothing but taunt the admins and then look the finger and begin supremely immature and it's far too much already and everyone should take a rain check on their on situations and learn things from past mistakes and see what they can fix and use 5SGfnfT.png for "IMAGES" giphy.gif and cut the stupid shit and learn to handle yourselves.

this is pretty funny, got a laugh outta me. probably should know situations a bit better before just going crazy and making something worse than a shitpost.

wow a serious post for once :scream:

2 minutes ago, Morgus said:

Other than the server being only about 1 month old the fact that Azarchius hasn't had a computer for 2 weeks might've been what caused some of these problems. I think you are right about some of what you say but I believe that it will be fixed as the server grows both in popularity and age.

It just made things a little more shaky, for this sort of issue to occur.

Just now, Killaninja12 said:

this is pretty funny, got a laugh outta me. probably should know situations a bit better before just going crazy and making something worse than a shitpost.

I do know all things at the table.

4 minutes ago, DerpyDoo said:

It just made things a little more shaky, for this sort of issue to occur.

What do you mean?

Keep in mind, if you are here to cause drama.  If you are here to start things, just saying before it starts.  Don't talk shit here, this is a way for us to maturely speak to the admins and staff team.  Cut it.  Especially your litte

6 minutes ago, Killaninja12 said:

jon.

fdfgsdfgs.png

Just now, Insomnia said:

Keep in mind, if you are here to cause drama.  If you are here to start things, just saying before it starts.  Don't talk shit here, this is a way for us to maturely speak to the admins and staff team.  Cut it.  Especially your litte

jon.

giphy.gif

35 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I think you misunderstand, JJ.  I'm not trying to upset or make anyone's life harder.  The updates section is a bit lackluster, to be frank.  We need it to feel alive, a community where the general channels aren't shit posting.  We don't need intense moderation set into place, we need to talk as a community about what we want.  What we need.  What we feel.  

Whilst I will take what you say into account, perhaps you may not be disconnected.  But a lot of us are.  That much I can say as a -fact-.  Due to many people telling me over time that they have no clue what's going on.  And simply observing that people don't know.

I honestly agree with you on the connect between staff and player. I feel like there's very little communication between the staff -> general players in terms of what's planned, what features are done and implemented, what's going on within the community and staff team, ect.

At this moment, I believe that we are way too heavily dependent on people to actively follow and keep up with Discord, which not everyone does. For instance, with Aza's PC gone for that time, I don't think anything was actually posted or stated officially on this break. While it's not everyone's business, I think in such a role where we are rather reliant on him, it would've been nice for some sort of notice, and to have patience in times where a bug may be found. 

To be fair though - I believe we were supposed to have a dedicated admin that was more focused on a sort of "PR" role, for Public Relations - but I believe they've gone heavily inactive for the time. Either those functions from that role need to be spread out between current staff, or someone else needs to step up into those shoes completely, and do things such as: Discord Announcements, Forum Announcements, Sneak Previews of "What we're working on next" (except - things are usually kept hidden to avoid being copied and having another server put out a similar feature ect, which is reasonable, but some hints could still be done with small glimpses, not the entire thing, just ideas, SS's, ect)

Edited by MindScape

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

Just now, Morgus said:

What do you mean?

Well, because of the small level of tension, it's not like people can console themselves in the wide-eyed knowledge that a wealthy flow of quality content is either available or *immediately* due for instant release. Atm, the server doesn't even fully match up command-wise with some other servers out there, cough. And doesn't outstrip it. Now, I do believe in the capacity of Azarchius and any other coders with the team to achieve such things.

All i'm saying is that because of that situation, it's just a little wobbly. So what just happened, the hardline stamping out people criticizing how a mute was handled, that was a TERRIBLE way to do it. In a terrible time to do it. Certain members of staff are significantly better at resonating with the community. Some are... significantly better at inflaming it. This is a bad time to piss everyone off, that's all.

2 minutes ago, DerpyDoo said:

Well, because of the small level of tension, it's not like people can console themselves in the wide-eyed knowledge that a wealthy flow of quality content is either available or *immediately* due for instant release. Atm, the server doesn't even fully match up command-wise with some other servers out there, cough. And doesn't outstrip it. Now, I do believe in the capacity of Azarchius and any other coders with the team to achieve such things.

All i'm saying is that because of that situation, it's just a little wobbly. So what just happened, the hardline stamping out people criticizing how a mute was handled, that was a TERRIBLE way to do it. In a terrible time to do it. Certain members of staff are significantly better at resonating with the community. Some are... significantly better at inflaming it. This is a bad time to piss everyone off, that's all.

I missed that entire situation or anything, but from what I've heard - people have gone about the thing entirely wrong though - if someone thought the punishment was too harsh or unnecessary / unwarranted, they could've just posted an appeal / staff report, instead of starting some huge drama fest over it, y'feel? *shrug*

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

1 minute ago, MindScape said:

I missed that entire situation or anything, but from what I've heard - people have gone about the thing entirely wrong though - if someone thought the punishment was too harsh or unnecessary / unwarranted, they could've just posted an appeal / staff report, instead of starting some huge drama fest over it, y'feel? *shrug*

Implying people felt their opinions would be heard and correctly weighed and responded to by the Staff.

The entire problem is caused due to lack of communication, thus also lack of trust in the Staff's judgement and ability to properly react to situations.

QedXJtZ.png

I know this is an open letter to the staff, but let's not fall into argument based off of one scenario.  Let's keep to constructive advice and requests to the staff directly.  much less shit posting to each other. 

fdfgsdfgs.png

27 minutes ago, DerpyDoo said:

Didn't you read what I wrote? Azar has been without a computer for half the servers lifetime, could you people chill out. Also the people mad at the mutes should just make appeals and it will be taken care of properly.

I also feel a massive lack of respect for the staff members, which is unfair as they are doing a good job. (Maybe because you have old relationships with them from other servers?)

Edited by Morgus

1 minute ago, Morgus said:

Didn't you read what I wrote? Azar has been without a computer for half the servers lifetime, could you people chill out. Also the people mad at the mutes should just make appeals and it will be taken care of properly.

Oh, I thought you were like, bringing things up and being like "Yeah, I understand the situation" not being an apologist. It's fine tho, I gotta go to sleep.

6 minutes ago, DerpyDoo said:

Oh, I thought you were like, bringing things up and being like "Yeah, I understand the situation" not being an apologist. It's fine tho, I gotta go to sleep.

Not really an apologist, just giving reasoning to your complaints.

As a server that started with little than 20 or less people, it is still on a path to build itself, rules are still raw, members are still gettin accomodated, it being a newcomer or a transfer. Performance related things are coming and in the end will take some time.

As above, rules for me are as I said, still raw, while talking to Azarchius one day, he said that new rules are made in the admin collective and that each has it's own responsability.

But I did suggested for the admins to create a feedback thread such as this but we got no reply at that.

As in the first post with "Think first then mute" can be a problem with understanding it, as it can have other misconceptions of how this is seen.

willy1.PNG2017-07-23 00.26.45.jpg