silphax

Shorter Ears for Elves?

I'm making a simple proposition for modeling. I wouldn't mind seeing extra faces for elves implemented, if not extra skin colors that include shortened ears for the sake of  i m m e r s i o n. Either elves having shorter ears or humans having slightly longer ears would be cool, tbh. Not a priority but it would make rping a half-elf a little bit more believable to me.

(waiting for the obligatory 'hue fuck half-breeds')

skin colors dont affect geosets. theyre purely there to change textures

however the ear geoset on elves (and all other races iirc too) is separate from the head but i dont think its possible just yet to go as far as to, say, add a whole new slider solely for adjusting the ears or smth like that

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

it isn't really as simple as popping on new things. Some workaround for this could be to treat the shortened ears like demon hunter horns and work with them that way.

Then we've gotta texture them and all that, make sure they move properly with the head and a bunch of other stuff.

It's entirely doable, it's just that they probably wont be given their own special slider menu.

Here's the obligatory "hue fuck half-breeds!" 

Now that's done-... Adding new hairstyles is one thing since the hair is standing completely ceperate from the model but adding new types of ears is a little more difficult than that. You have to make sure the new ears are moving along to the bones (as ears wobble when elfs run), and there's so many different aspects that just don't work with longer-eared bones.

What can be done, however, is making at item that is essencially a helmet or works like a spell and makes for example humans look like they got elf ears. Instead of working on the model, one would just take the elf ears and turn them into a helmet.

1 minute ago, Kitty said:

Here's the obligatory "hue fuck half-breeds!" 

Now that's done-... Adding new hairstyles is one thing since the hair is standing completely ceperate from the model but adding new types of ears is a little more difficult than that. You have to make sure the new ears are moving along to the bones (as ears wobble when elfs run), and there's so many different aspects that just don't work with longer-eared bones.

What can be done, however, is making at item that is essencially a helmet or works like a spell and makes for example humans look like they got elf ears. Instead of working on the model, one would just take the elf ears and turn them into a helmet.

itd be easier to just do it for elves, and treat them as horns. Humans would have to be done via an item.

Just now, Kitty said:

@Grandmaster Pa You can't cover up elf ears though to make them look shorter. Don't think it works that way. 

Oh no, you can't. So an item wouldn't work for elves either as it'd just clip with the existing ears. Unless we made the default ears smaller and add longer options as ears, that method could work. But editing the native model just for this would mess up npcs.

No simple solution to this at all

Pure-bloods are superior.

As others are saying too, it's not so easily done.

Ripperoni.

ohwell.jpg

Edited by Beast

9 hours ago, Kitty said:

You can't cover up elf ears though to make them look shorter.

I've seen that several helmets remove the ear geoset when equipped. So making a helmet item with shorter ear models while hiding the ears but not the hair would be a good way to go. not exactly the best solution, nor will it be easy I assume.

find me on discord @Lehvie#1473

or just find me on a certain other server.
have fun boys

Honestly, I think the idea of completely seperate morphs with visible character edits such as shorter ears would be a fascinating idea to work with.  Think of it like different body types that'll change when you morph into the character.  Though it's something a bit niche, I'd think the idea would be cool non-the-less. Similar back in Cata where there were morphs for ethereals and ogres wearing your character's armor as an option for an example of sorts.

I however know very little about morphs, but it's definitely something that'd promote RP.

sZgpPpc.gif

On 9/15/2017 at 4:52 PM, Vojtik said:

Just use standard Blizzard lore for appearances

Belf = half-human-elf

Orc = half-orc-draenei

and then alodi

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png