Sign in to follow this  
Silcore

Downloads being pushed into the stream too often?

'Patch Day' Poll  

11 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should Epsilon use a dedicated 'patch day' instead of pushing content as it is made available?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/70 at 12:00 AM

Hey.

I think the tech behind this new client (and the ability to push patches for download to everyone) is pretty awesome, but I feel every day my client is taking more or less five minutes to open, which feels relatively clunky. Some new players have also expressed confusion as to why the client doesn't seem to respond when opened. So, I figured I'd propose something more akin to what Blizzard does with their games: choosing one day of the week to push that week's changes into the download stream, and pushing emergency hotfixes whenever necessary. This keeps the client startup smooth every day except for one day of each week, and that one day players can expect their client to start slowly as it streams new data on startup, letting them plan accordingly (like queueing up for a HotS match while the WoW client loads).

Just a thought. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments.

Edited by Silcore
elaboration, fixed typos

Once the system has stabilized and we are in the swing of things, I think that's exactly what @Tia plans. Good suggestion though, definitely agree.

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

Honestly I think on the fly is alright, however Patch Notes per stuff added (once it's available public with all db edits in place) would be appreciated. The only thing it harms is people with data caps, which may or may not be a good amount of people playing.

36 minutes ago, Reddoh said:

Honestly I think on the fly is alright, however Patch Notes per stuff added (once it's available public with all db edits in place) would be appreciated. The only thing it harms is people with data caps, which may or may not be a good amount of people playing.

Patch notes is a great idea. It would be nice to see what different things the client is streaming when updates are pushed.

Edited by Silcore

Yes, please.

zxZaKpL.png                

S3SCCwW.png            

b6BCJ5k.png

As MindScape mentioned, this is exactly how I plan for updates to be pushed. Instead of adding one or two small things here and then, as we please, I plan to schedule bigger updates along with patch notes so that we don't have this loading problem on a daily basis. 

I barely notice any downloads going on anyway. I give a flying shit about either option to be quite honest, as long as it doesn't take eighteen years to download, it can happen on one day or through small things continuesly.