Witch

Community Discord Poll: #politics

The Future of #politics  

35 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What is the administration's best course of action for the #politics channel?

• Create a rulest specific to the channel
    • Disable image embedding
    • No action is necessary
    • Other/Multiple answers (please post)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/70 at 12:00 AM

Hello everybody,

The administration has received a great deal of feedback concerning the #politics channel on our Discord server. While we are committed to providing a fair environment and we believe in players' freedom of speech, some of us have expressed that stronger measures are necessary to make sure the channel can function properly. In an effort to incorporate a greater community role in the server we have agreed to create a poll for players to decide what should be done about recent discussions in #politics.

The purpose of this thread is for players to constructively offer their opinions and play a part in the server. Whether you think the channel is fine and the images and memes are part and parcel of politics or you believe it should be moderated, or otherwise, please let us know by voting and leaving a comment below.

The discussion will close one week from this posting on October 14, 2017.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

I would like to participate in this open discussion as a player as well. However, regardless of my or any other staff members' views, the administration will respond to the majority vote.

My initial compromise was to pin an image in the channel that discourages logical fallacies. Players should be able to join the #politics channel and enjoy political discourse, but the channel should be subject to the same rules as the rest of the Discord. Communication should not be restricted in any additional capacity (notwithstanding the current rules). I believe the channel is fine the way it currently is and that the administration should act to mediate heated debates and enforce the existing rules as necessary.

To that end I have cast my vote for "no action is necessary." The image I pinned to the channel is attached.

logical fallacy.jpg

Epsilon_Ohana.png

DON'T PULL THE TRIGGUH ******

DON'T BEAT THE POOR MAN DOWN

DON'T CENSOR WHAT DON'T NEED TO BE CENSORED. WHERE MY UNCENSORED BOYS AT, DISCUSS POLITICS TO YO FREE WILL, WE AREN'T NO DICKTATOR SHIP???

no but seriously why is this even a thing lol why censor something that doesn't need to be censored. you're pretty much asking to start a wildfire, and a lot of the memes posted there regardless still have relevancy to the discussion at hand.

Edited by Killaninja12

I think the idea that disabling image embeds in politics is silly. It is meaningless and is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

No action is necessary.

Edited by Arbiter

How To Cause Mayhem In Your Discord: A Guide By Rappa

1) Make a politics chat. Nothing wrong with having one, but of course you need one first to complete the guide.

2) Make specific rules and disable embeds, locking the containment channel. This step is important, because it takes away the freedom people have to post political memes and pictures in the chat, thus causing them to post it everywhere else. (P.S.- this step is most effective because it makes people feel suppressed, and thus they'll get angry at the staff for looking like they're trying to subdue and squash certain opinions.)

3) ???

4) Profit

While I understand where concern is aimed, having a channel dedicated to politics is going to have upset parties at any given time about any related discussion, as such, putting any sort of restriction on thechannel to better prevent this could cause more problems than it solves, as you can't make everyone happy.

Edited by Swagnaros

Maybe just split the channels if it's really a problem. One that's #politics-memes and one that's #politics-discussion. And the one for discussion has no embeds.

I can see the frustration because any time I drop in there it's very rarely actual discussion it's just /pol/ memes which mostly I don't have a problem with but if you're trying to actually discuss something, if people are just barraging the channel with Holocaust jokes, it isn't really enjoyable.

Edited by aurot
A word or two

disabling image embeds in a politics chat is a sort of dumb way to attempt to "fix" the chat and it's only going to make problems elsewhere. if people cant post images there, political memes won't stop: they'll simply go elsewhere, in #images or #off-topic etc. not only that, but in the politics chat the main images posted may be memes but there is the few images that aren't memes and are very relevant to topics within the chat that can't simply be disabled solely because "a meme might be posted as a reaction" or something

in my opinion it doesn't need fixing. memes as a reaction aren't a problem and honestly aren't causing any major issue. if you can't handle the politics channel just simply don't go there

images are very important within the channel for more reasons than just "i want to meme at people who i think have a dumb opinion"

deletre the channel

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

isn't really more than a breeding ground for people to get heated over their views

find me on discord @Lehvie#1473

or just find me on a certain other server.
have fun boys

How about we just start being transparent about what's being done about the server regarding developments. So far as far as iv'e seen there is little to no word regarding the release of anything, Particularly towards fixing some of the major problems with functionality i.e Phase Listings, Render distance, Phase Manager, Etc. Rather than debating over something that is completely arbitrary and honestly just in my personal opinion, a complete and total waste of time. It would be better for you guys to focus on something that is actually pertinent to the community.

Acf089i.gif

1 hour ago, Matt said:

How about we just start being transparent about what's being done about the server regarding developments. So far as far as iv'e seen there is little to no word regarding the release of anything, Particularly towards fixing some of the major problems with functionality i.e Phase Listings, Render distance, Phase Manager, Etc. Rather than debating over something that is completely arbitrary and honestly just in my personal opinion, a complete and total waste of time. It would be better for you guys to focus on something that is actually pertinent to the community.

I suggested this in a recent staff meeting. Hopefully the poll and community feedback will both be solid steps toward refocusing our efforts. Thanks for the response Matt, I'll make sure everyone hears it loud and clear.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

As a fairly consistent veteran of #politics, I voted 'do nothing'. Honestly it's pretty much fine, probably one of the more civil politics chats I've ever been in, with the possible exception of certain individuals who will go nameless and who know who they are. Leave it be, there are bigger problems at hand.

Case in point: I need to quite vehemently second Matt's point. Transparency in development is sorely lacking. The server started in a really good place with the openness in this area. I realize there's probably too much to do to resume making nifty youtube videos, but an obsession with secrecy has developed because... what? A certain other server might add similar features? Who cares? Competition is good. Creating a welcoming community is more important than hiding the direction development is taking. The players need to have the feeling that they're being listened to, that staff is active and communicative, and that the server is going in a positive direction. As it is it would be very easy for new players to get the impression that nothing is being done to improve the server, even if those of us who've been around a while know that isn't true.

Edited by Silmariel

nothins good about this fucking chat

the longer it exists the more it becomes what it already is: a dumb autistic echobox for retarded right wing retards

[Gunmar] says: "I can't believe this 'Arahi' woman went down so fast. Storm my arse."

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Erkor said:

nothins good about this fucking chat

the longer it exists the more it becomes what it already is: a dumb autistic echobox for retarded right wing retards

bigger fish to fry, tho

find me on discord @Lehvie#1473

or just find me on a certain other server.
have fun boys

NO

GUd5X5D.png

Spoiler

wye3c336bj4.jpg

Obviously the votes are in and a decision has been made, but I still would like to make my opinion clear nonetheless.  The politics chat is exactly like any other gaming discord channel's politics chat: a memefest mixed in sometimes with a dash of arguing between people who take the the channel's name seriously and those who don't give a shit. 

Even if you remove the images and try instilling moderation within the channel, you won't find a lot of productive conversation.  Best to be done with the channel entirely.  If not, well, personally I just ignore it, anyways.  So if the staff doesn't have a problem with it, that's fine.  I just won't enter it.

(I suppose I've just argued myself out in this response, but this was just a bit of a free-write.  I'll let the points stand.)

Vraul