AshBrighter

[Tutorial] Ash's Tutorial to Model Editing

Hello Epsilon, 

This is a blatant repost from my model editing tutorial on the other forums.

I hope this helps some of you, I re-uploaded some bits and changed others.

I'll always be ready to help more on discord, dawi#9476.

Want to do what I'm doing yourself? Follow these guides.

The Tools

Spoiler

In order to edit models, textures, sound and hairstyles, you'll need a set of tools.

Blender version 2.73 (+ scripts)
BLPConvert
BLPViewer
CascViewer
M2Mod
Photoshop (pirate this u fuck, literally take ur pick)
All of the above except Blender and BLPView can be downloaded with my little repack (including the scripts), right here.

Blender's 2.73 revision can be downloaded here: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.73/

Place the scripts in Blender\2.73\scripts\addons.

BLPView can be downloaded here: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16700-BLPView.html

The Basics

Spoiler

So how do you go to work? The steps below will give you a rough concept of how you'll be making your way around editing. In general, there are two ways to go about editing; replacing WoW's existing files, or edit the DBC files to create new ID's. I'll go over this in the tutorials.

Use Cascviewer to obtain models, textures and soundfiles from the retail client.
Use M2Mod to convert models into .m2i, a format Blender can work with.
Use BLPConvert to convert textures into .png, something you can obviously edit with Photoshop.
Import the converted models into Blender, edit them, export them as .m2i.
Edit the textures with Photoshop.
Reverse the process, convert your new .m2i into .m2 and convert your edited textures back into .blp, make sure to save them as .png when you're done in Photoshop.
Create a Character folder in your WoW directory. In there, create a new folder with the name of your chosen model's race. In that folder, create a new folder named either Male or Female (depending on your choice of model) and drop the .m2 with the necessary .skin files in there.

How do I edit Sound?

Spoiler

To be honest, sound files are the easiest to edit and replace. I won't bother with a step-by-step guide because of the simplicity. Instead, I uploaded a Youtube video that covers it. See the link below.

https://youtu.be/HzbTMs6PBxo

Let me know if the background music is too loud. I can't work without music and I'm yet to find a way to record without Soundcloud playing.

How do I edit Textures?

Spoiler

I actually really liked making a video for editing sound instead of explaining it step-by-step with pictures, in my opinion it makes it a lot clearer since you can see everything I do. Link is below.

https://youtu.be/Yg7bWG-pnrg

Let me know if the background music is too loud. I can't work without music and I'm yet to find a way to record without Soundcloud playing.

How do I edit Hairstyles?

Spoiler

Another video! The largest one yet, though. I hope you can bare through 40 minutes of footage.

https://youtu.be/JAyxlR3rN6g

How do I edit Models? (WIP)

Spoiler

Most of this is influenced by the same knowledge used to edit hairstyles. I'll make a dedicated tutorial on it later.

Do you have an online archive with all the 7.2 models pre-converted, all the bones, animations and textures neatly ordered in seperate folders with one .blp of each pre-converted to .png of every race and gender for me?

Spoiler

Yeah, it's right over here.

Adding to that, here are some templates that I made. You'll find a .blender save file of every race and gender. It might have saved the pre-application of UV-mapped textures I've added to them, but your treepath might be different than mine.

I'll be adding ontop of this thread from hereon, explaining different advanced stuff like making your own cloak patch, pulling meshes/models from other games and using them, as well as how to give a hairstyle two different colours like Jaina and so on.

Edited by AshBrighter

I remember this!! I dug up your videos and you were my guiding hand through Blender, a program I had never used before. All of the character model edits I made were possible because I'd watched you. I have a showcase here:

I've always wanted to properly thank you for everything. Your work is amazing!

Epsilon_Ohana.png

2 hours ago, Witch said:

I remember this!! I dug up your videos and you were my guiding hand through Blender, a program I had never used before. All of the character model edits I made were possible because I'd watched you. I have a showcase here...

HAHHAH, those dwarf beards are gold. Great to hear they've helped someone out. 

I'll slowly start working on bringing content here, but unblocking the 7.3 restriction has to happen first.

Same. I can't open the videos. This guide is almost useless without the videos, sadly. Is there any other guide similar to this around for model editing?