Sign in to follow this  
Ragolution

Maximum and minimum visibility on game objects.

While a number of its use cases are niche, I've had a few cases where having a 'minimum' distance for object visibility might be preferable, especially in gobject-heavy phases where culling visible objects is a high on my objective list to help players with limited gameplay hardware. Execution of the command would be simple;

.gob set vis <max> <min>

In short, an object would be forced to have a max vis, no matter what, not dissimilar to how it is, now, but would also be able to be assigned a minimum visibility range where it begins to vanish when you become too close to it. This would be best used in conjunction with non-colliding objects to occlude areas that are culled due to distance. Example: Imagine a very large hallway made primarily of tile objects, and the far side of the hallway is just within visibility range (80 units), but the hallway, also made of tile objects, is at the opposite side and shows a massive hole, since it features objects that area further away.

Contrarily, it could be used for neat little maze things, adding hidden walls in a Dark Souls style and a few other niche ideas.

I'm not aware how technically possible this is, since I casually suggested it to Raz, once, but I'm back on my soapbox.