Sign in to follow this  
Asdflawl

A New Perspective: Chapter 1

A new roleplaying server, one that I'd love to actually get more entwined with the community. So, tonight I was feeling like writing, and wrote a piece for one of my most-RP'd characters, Lilyana Brown!

Hope whomever reads it enjoys!

Chapter 1: Same Old Situation

Time: Present Day Azeroth.

The dim light of the Tavern was one that Lilyana was fond of. Not too bright, aside the roaring flames of the hearth. The background noise of conversation, mugs clacking together, and laughter always made her feel at home. Perhaps it was less the laughter, and more the Ale that she downed with a hearty chug. This stool sucked, and it barely had her be at a well-put level with the bar. What the fuck was the point of a seat if it didn’t accommodate everyone and anyone? She leaned forward and grunted softly, staring up, then over to the side.

Another Elven beauty. Kaldorei, at that, reading some book that she cared little for.

Lilyana leaned over, trying to steal the contents of the tome. It was written in Darnassian.

“Neat book.” She said, staring up and over to the purple skinned Elf, watching the exotic woman casually glance over at her. Lily simply grinned back with that award-winning, flirtatious expression. “Not as neat as me, however. Lilyana Brown, a pleasure for both me and you, I’m sure~.” She stretched out a hand for the Kaldorei to shake. She didn’t get much of a response besides the roll of her shimmering eyes before returning to the worn pages below.

The human sighed, shifting herself to stare at nearly-empty mug. You know, times use to be better. She wasn’t finding herself in various Taverns looking for a nameless night of passion or some grouping to get drunk with and wake up in a pit the next morning. She was a Commander! A Spy Mistress! A woman that had fought tooth and dagger against the endless Scourge. She was above this. Times were better. They had to have been…

… Right?

She lost herself in the fluid. The remembrance of the icy winds that bit at her skin, the dark sky that loomed above. The nameless undead that shambled their way through the blizzard towards her group. She was a veteran, a woman that proudly saw herself in the glory of the Alliance. Clad in that respective uniform, wearing her tabard with pride as she held her rifle up to line up the shot, fastening the butt against her shoulder.

The shot ringing the ears of her nearest squad members, the bullet whistling through the frozen air to pierce the skull of the risen soldier, before having it collapse into the snow with a thud. There were so many more, hundreds in the distance… all wandering aimlessly at the command of Arthas. Her time in these barricaded walls to cull the number of the mindless were never-ending. Days upon days upon days in these dug-in trenches of snow to act as a ground to clear out whatever group of the Scourge had found themselves close enough. They had to be the ones to do this, to clear out the numbers so that they didn’t overwhelm the tournament grounds.

At the sudden sound of a man screaming, Lilyana shot her stare to the side. Gallen, the youngest and least experienced of her squad, seemed to have broken down from his vigilant watch of the eastern trench and let a ghoul slip by. The boy howling as those disgusting teeth lodged into his armor as the claw tore at his cheek.

Traluu, a Paladin that had been with Lilyana since her promotion, drew her hands up to sear at the undead as Lilyana quickly dropped her rifle, grabbed at her two daggers strapped to her side, and charged the ghoul. It realized this, and unlatched the younger man as he dove to the side, bleeding horribly as he wailed in pain. The shorter human stepped through the snow with a quickening speed, her hair waving as she bobbed left, then right… and with a feint, she sliced her daggers together into the things throat, before kicking it to the trenches floor.

The ghoul clambered and clawed at the air, getting but a moments reprieve before Lilyana drew her combat boot up, and stomped in the things skull with a disgusting splatter of near-broken bone and decaying rot that was its brain without a second thought.

She panted, and stared back. Gallen’s armor torn, his wound horribly infected… the disgusting plague already beginning to set in that this diseased corpse held. Taluu began to work on the wound with the Light as he shut his eyes, weeping.

“You fucking idiot. YOU COULD HAVE KILLED US ALL! What if there were MORE besides that one ghoul?!” The woman spat at the downed man, the recruit shooting his gaze open to stare over with wet eyes. The various soldiers that manned the trench were too far to hear this… the howling wind of Icecrown did that to you. Traluu glared over at Lilyana. “Commander, that is no way to speak to a downed soldier.”

Lilyana snarled back. “Then maybe he should have continued scouting and not strayed from his watch. We BARELY have enough sharpshooters to deal with the scourge that approach us, and we’re at the eastern end of the trench. WE are the ones that protect the rest of the-“

“I know the situation, Commander! That does not mean you speak with such aggression to one of your own, wounded men!” The Draenei spoke over, her tail flicking against the snow angrily as her hands continued to focus the light. The human took a breath through her nostrils, Gallen staring between the two with teary eyes both in pain and a growing, apologetic expression.

Lilyana locked eyes with him, her own narrowing as she continued to pant, before staring outward towards the frozen waste. The massive Frostwyrms that dominated the skies, the spirits of converted heroes from those horrid necromancers. Souls of the claimed, bodies of the forgotten… all part of the great engine that was the Scourge war machine.

“OI, LASSIE. YE’ GOT AN ASS AS FINE AS THAT AND IT AIN’T ON ME FACE?!”

W-… What?

She blinked, the sound of the tavern chatter, the clattering of mugs and the sound of the bard strumming away. She spun around to look at her left; the Kaldorei was gone… and now was replaced with a stout, far-too-inebriated Dwarf that grinned back over at her.

Lilyana sighed, and cracked a smirk, before looking over at the man, and lifting her mug. He lifted his, almost as if expecting it, and they clattered their mugs together, before quaffing down the rest of the fluid with a sigh.

She removed the mug, and stared back forward at the barkeep, however speaking over directly to the drunken man.

“Get a few more drinks in me, and we can see ‘bout that.” She lied, all the more welcoming to score a few more drinks and dash away from the seedy Tavern almost-drunk as the man would cry after her.

No, the present was better than the past. A life of freedom and carefree expression, void of the horrors that she and her comrades had bared. It couldn’t get any better than this.

Link to Chapter 2

Edited by Asdflawl

Amazing. Love the choice of words above all. I want moar! Post moar!

On 8/3/2017 at 4:54 AM, Romeo said:

Amazing. Love the choice of words above all. I want moar! Post moar!

You're awesome, thank you for reading! I plan to write more and add onto this with new parts. I enjoy actually being to explore the backstory of my character!