TheDemon

[Guide] Striking it Lich! the Easy Way

This guide contains any information that are available to us in canon, and filtered lore of RPG with little addition of my own things, because there is just not much lore to work with.

And yes HotS reference in the title

Note: uneducated individuals may use therm "Lich" to refer to any powerful undead sorcerer (such is the case of Gunther Arcanus), this guide however considers only those who truly attained Lichhood

How to become one:

• Given enough help, it is possible for basically anyone to become Lich, although this privileged is usually reserved only to powerful necromancer, mages or other powerful spell casters of the Scourge
  • Lichhood can be bestowed upon individual directly by Lich King
  • One can also obtain Lichhood by a ritual. This ritual is very difficult and only very skilled necromancers can conduct it. It usually takes few weeks to complete this ritual
  • In most cases creating a phylactery is part of this ritual. It is possible to rebound soul back to original body, however it is highly inadvisable
    • phylactery is a small flask or urn, containing Lich's life
    • when Lich is "killed" - his body is destroyed, his soul will return back to the phylactery and in month or so will create a new body
    • in order for Lich to be truly killed the phylactery needs to be destroyed
  • Once you become Lich you are no longer mere human, you are undead. Your personality stays the same for the most part, although it may be affected by the fact you are now undead

Advantages and disadvantages to being Lich:

• As Lich you are undead with all that is to it, and there are other thing that may or may not apply or apply to certain degree based on power of the Lich

+ you don't need to eat

+ you don't tire, you don't need to rest

+ you are more resistant to physical and ice damage

+ you are more resistant to psychical effects

+ your magical and necromantic abilities are greatly enhanced

+ you can control immense number of undead

+ you are able to channel the chilling energies of the land of dead

- you can't use nature magic nor the Light

- Holy Light hurts you

• You can use certain very powerful spells

Standard WIP disclaimer in case I would add something

Fantastic addition! A neat little guide that summarizes lichhood quite well. I'd argue that lichdom is a secret that few outside the cult of the damned would know about, but since there are some minor characters in lore that have ascended by themselves, I suppose it ain't right to make that claim. Still, I don't think an average mage or a warlock or anything that hasn't had contact or practised the dark, forbidden magicks of the cult of the damned would be able to turn themselves into something so evil and well, powerful as a lich. In my mind, ascending to lichdom is something similiar to ascending into a shadow ascendant in the forsaken religion - they do not only physically leave the realm of the living, they become demigods, or gods even in the social structure of things for the forsaken and in this example the cult of the damned. Undeath in the scourge belief is a blessing, and lichdom is absolutely the grandest, highest thing you can achieve if you dabble in the darkest arts. THUS, I think these secrets are well kept and not so easily found in the hands of non-cultists.

Great guide!