Silcore

Notes About the Mac Client

Since the Mac client is brand new (and I wouldn't mind playing Epsilon while I'm away from my desktop), I went through the process of grabbing it for my MacBook Air. Here are some of the difficulties I've encountered in the process of downloading:

• The hyperlink for the Mac client on the Connection Guide is currently pointing to the Windows 32-bit client. This can be circumvented by just using the plain text URL and putting it into your browser.
  • The .app file will more than likely be blocked by your Mac (since Epsilon isn't an identified Mac developer). The ability to download apps from unidentified developers is disabled by default, but that can be circumvented using this guide. In short, type the following command into your Mac Terminal: sudo spctl --master-disable
  • If you intend to put the Epsilon.app into your Applications folder, make sure to wrap the client in an "Epsilon" folder. Otherwise, the client will pump out the necessary Data, WTF, Cache, Logs, and WoW.mfil files directly into your Applications folder.
  • Although the Mac client works similarly to the tiny client, you still have to modify your config.wtf by changing SET portal "enUS" to SET portal "play.epsilonwow.net". Similarly, you have to put the provided tc_bundle.txt into your Epsilon folder.

Aside from those relatively small hiccups, it's running smoothly on my MacBook Air for now. If I encounter any crashes I'll update this post.

UPDATE: The game works great! Although, I would absolutely not recommend running it on a Macbook Air. Practically burning my fingertips because it's running so hot.

Edited by Silcore

Lmao sorry

1. Fixed

2. No idea how to circumvent this. Wonder if @Razmataz has any idea.

3. The App is supposed to be placed inside an existing WoW folder. If you don't have an Epsilon folder yet, the TinyClient still applies, the Mac app is inside it, you're not supposed to download the Mac app standalone. I take it the clarity of the instructions wasn't good enough, or was this just testing on your part?

4. Oh, again, the Mac app is the same as an exe. If you need a TinyClient, download the actual TinyClient, similarly to how if you need a client you wouldn't download the Windows exe. Were the instructions unclear or were you just testing it?

sSHRE9G.png

8 minutes ago, Azarchius said:

3. The App is supposed to be placed inside an existing WoW folder. If you don't have an Epsilon folder yet, the TinyClient still applies, the Mac app is inside it, you're not supposed to download the Mac app standalone. I take it the clarity of the instructions wasn't good enough, or was this just testing on your part?

4. Oh, again, the Mac app is the same as an exe. If you need a TinyClient, download the actual TinyClient.

Oh. Hah. Well, it worked fine standing alone. I figured that's what I was supposed to do. Opening the Mac app just downloaded all the contents of the WoW folder that weren't there. I guess it ended up being an easier process than downloading the tinyclient and then putting the Mac app inside of it.

The instructions are clear for the most part, yeah. If anything, change this part to mention the Mac .app so it catches the attention of Mac users. Although, like I said, it works fine without having a tiny client.

Edited by Silcore

47 minutes ago, Silcore said:

Oh. Hah. Well, it worked fine standing alone. I figured that's what I was supposed to do. Opening the Mac app just downloaded all the contents of the WoW folder that weren't there. I guess it ended up being an easier process than downloading the tinyclient and then putting the Mac app inside of it.

The instructions are clear for the most part, yeah. If anything, change this part to mention the Mac .app so it catches the attention of Mac users. Although, like I said, it works fine without having a tiny client.

The TinyClient *does* have the Mac app inside it though. ;p

And oh ok. Btw, a standalone exe would also work fine without a tiny client too--the tiny client is there to just get you prepared instantly. Edits to Config.WTF, tc_bundle.txt, etc.

sSHRE9G.png

Step 2: System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Unlock the Padlock with your admin password - Allow Apps from Anywhere - run Epsilon - 'Okay' - Allow Apps from Mac and Authorised Developers - Lock Padlock.

No other way really.

Edited by Razmataz

24 minutes ago, Azarchius said:

The TinyClient *does* have the Mac app inside it though. ;p

And oh ok. Btw, a standalone exe would also work fine without a tiny client too--the tiny client is there to just get you prepared instantly. Edits to Config.WTF, tc_bundle.txt, etc.

Ah. That clears things up. Got'cha.

17 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Step 2: System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Unlock the Padlock with your admin password - Allow Apps from Anywhere - run Epsilon - 'Okay' - Allow Apps from Mac and Authorised Developers - Lock Padlock.

No other way really.

This method didn't work for my MacBook Air on Sierra. Unlocking the padlock only reveals two options: "App Store" and "App Store and identified developers". It seems Apple removed the ability to choose "Anywhere" with the Sierra update. Only way to access it is with the terminal command I listed.

Edited by Silcore

1 hour ago, Targai said:

Hey, so a friend of mine is trying to get in on Mac, and is not exactly sure how to do it. My assumption was drag  https://epsilonwow.net/downloads/EpsilonWoW_Mac.zip to wherever, unzip it, and then just run the file inside. Was that not correct? If not, how would it be done?

This method worked for me:

• Download the EpsilonWoW_Mac.zip
  • Unzip
  • Put the .app into the Applications folder.
  • Put the .app into a folder called "Epsilon" inside of the applications folder.
  • Open the .app
    • You will encounter an issue asking you to delete the file. This is because the file is from an unidentified developer. See the instructions in the OP for which terminal command you need to use to fix this.
  • Once the .app opens, wait 5 minutes for it to install the core files to start the game. It will appear frozen, but it isn't. Just wait.
  • Once the game loads to the start screen, exit the game.
  • Now grab the necessary tc_bundle.txt file and put it into the Epsilon folder you created. Also go into your WTF/config.wtf file (open with Notepad) and change the line SET portal "enUS" to SET portal "play.epsilonwow.net".
  • Open the game again, log in with your account information (ACCOUNTNAME@epsilonwow.net).

That should do it. There are simpler methods, as Azarchius touched on above, but this is the one I did.

Okay, so apparently it's just bouncing, then closes. Any idea what's causing this? Steps friend did

#1. Unzip the TinyClient and put EpsilonWoW folder on desktop.

#2. Open folder and run the .app. 

The steps he did are right, except he needs to also do what Razmataz said and disable developer author checks because Epsilon isn't a Mac developer. It's just a quick fiddle with command line.

sSHRE9G.png

4 hours ago, Targai said:

My friend was encountering this issue as well on her Mac (she is on 10.10.10). Surprisingly, after having installed the Mac client on my Mac (10.12.6) and making sure it ran perfectly before zipping it up and giving it to her, she still received the same CAS error. I have no insight into how this bug can be fixed, but I hope @Azarchius can shed some light on the issue, as I'd love to get my friend online as well.

Alright, friend actually got it working by using @Silcore's method, that being 

• Download the EpsilonWoW_Mac.zip
  • Unzip
  • Put the .app into the Applications folder.
  • Put the .app into a folder called "Epsilon" inside of the applications folder.
  • Open the .app
    • You will encounter an issue asking you to delete the file. This is because the file is from an unidentified developer. See the instructions in the OP for which terminal command you need to use to fix this.
  • Once the .app opens, wait 5 minutes for it to install the core files to start the game. It will appear frozen, but it isn't. Just wait.
  • Once the game loads to the start screen, exit the game.
  • Now grab the necessary tc_bundle.txt file and put it into the Epsilon folder you created. Also go into your WTF/config.wtf file (open with Notepad) and change the line SET portal "enUS" to SET portal "play.epsilonwow.net".
  • Open the game again, log in with your account information (ACCOUNTNAME@epsilonwow.net).

Awesome. Happy to hear it worked. I'll see if I can convince my friend to give it another go. Hopefully it works for her as well.

21 hours ago, Silcore said:

Sorry for the late response. Here's an album of the client, with all data contents shown: https://imgur.com/a/84Hvk

I just meant regarding the strange comment; meant a comment about the entire data folder.

Is the Epsilon folder inside Applications?

sSHRE9G.png

A potential solution for the earlier problem is as follows:

Open the WoW folder and right click on your World of Warcraft/Epsilon.app, select Show Package Contents

Navigate into the Contents/MacOS folder where you'll come across a file called World of Warcraft.

Open terminal, type in "sudo chmod 777 " (without the " and with the trailing space) and then drag that World of Warcraft file into the terminal window to have a command like: "sudo chmod 777 ########/World\ of\ Warcraft/Epsilon.app/Contents/MacOS/World\ of\ Warcraft "

Press enter and enter your password if it asks for it in the terminal window.

Edited by Razmataz