ArvickCorpsebane

Arvick's super serious Death Knight guide... Kind of.

So, you want to Roleplay a Death Knight, huh? 

Well, you are in the right place to learn some basics of Death Knight roleplay. In this guide, I will explain how to deal with baseline character traits, development, and storyline of your Death Knight. I will also illustrate some pitfalls new DK RPers make in the form of Billy the Deathlord, who wants to learn the intricate mastery of Death Knight roleplay. Please take everything in this guide with a grain of salt. First and foremost, it is supposed to be more lighthearted and is by no mean the objectively RIGHT way to RP your Death Knight. This is just me being a silly bean and suggesting some info to enforce quality on Epsilon.

Death Knights: Personality

Alright. Despite the popular assumption that Death Knights are cold, heartless monsters as if leaping from the mind of a 16 y/o DeviantArt edgelord, they are actually much tamer than that. Your character won't be wallowing in their pitiful sorrow 24/7, they won't be murdering people 24/7 and they aren't going to break local rules just because they can. Here, Billy the Deathlord failed completely. Unknowingly, he walked into the town of Whogivesafuck. Despite reading the local rules, Billy decided that he will commit a heinous crime against the local populace by spitting on the street. This earned him the attention of the local guardsmen, who immediately decided to punish him for his deadly transgression. - Of course, Billy doesn't care because he is the Deathlord and he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

This is why you shouldn't be like Billy. Death Knights rarely ever have reasons to break local guidelines, wherever you might be. As a Death Knight, you must understand that your character is viewed down upon by the public. There live people in the world whose families died at the hands of Arthas and came back as vile undead. This gives them the justification to dislike you, hate you even. Never forget to reflect this on your character in a way that doesn't cause needless conflict. Nobody likes party poopers.

So. We already established that Billy definitely cannot be grumpy all the time and that he isn't above the law. Seeing the mistake in his roleplay, Billy decided to give his character more flavor by assigning positive character traits. Happy, Friendly, Social... And here is where Billy is wrong again. Death Knights can feel positive emotions, and by all means feel free to add them to your character. They can feel joy, they can feel anything a living person can. The main problem with expressing these emotions is the fact that Death Knights who showed positivity or regret during their training were executed. Scourge indoctrination renders the Death Knight a cold shell of his former self. - So yes... you can feel good as a Death Knight, nobody says you can't. The problem is conveying those happy moments in a way that doesn't contradict the DK lore. Now Billy the Deathlord knows that he cannot just slap random happy-go-lucky traits onto his character without thinking. Great!

Death Knight: Sex

No.

Death Knight: Power

Alright. Now we have a decent personality for Billy the Deathlord. He is a Death Knight that doesn't care for the lives led by the living. He is distant, reluctant to talk, but he knows how to behave and cares deeply for his comrades. But what's this? Billy the Deathlord can summon a giant Frost Wyrm, he can Death Grip a platoon of soldiers and summon Ghouls wherever and whenever. All of these powers at his whim. Now it's time to not be like Billy again. Death Knights are generally a very powerful class, but they aren't unkillable. They have limits and their powers still cost them much effort. You cannot just go on a one-man crusade against the power of Friendship. You cannot just crash into Stormwind and demand Anduin hands over his crown. (If he had any...) - Neither is your Saronite indestructible. Sure, it provides protection against Light and Nature, is lighter than steel and can deflect blows from Arcanite. - But have you ever considered that it doesn't do much else? Saronite won't protect your from Arcane Magic and WILL send your allies and enemies down the path of madness if you are around them too much. So reconsider before you use this very strong metal... It is a very eccentric thing to wear, especially in populated areas. Some cities might not even let you in with it equipped.

To sum it all up. Please be considered of other roleplayers. We get it that the fantasy of the Death Knight class, in essence, is overpowered, but mute it down a little. Nobody wants to fight your hulking mass of necrotic energies if there isn't even a chance to harm it. And vice-versa, do you enjoy to pummel through everything in your path? - Do you really want to play a game where there is no risk or challenge? I think not.

Death Knight: Backstory

Everyone loves a good story. Even Billy the Deathlord likes stories. A well-made backstory is one of the key traits of your character, Death Knight or not. Almost every single character you can think of has some story. If you want your Death Knight to be immersive and compelling, you gotta make sure to have a story planned out before you even hit that "Enter World" button on your character screen. A good story is essential. If you have problems thinking how to shape your backstory, ask yourself what events influenced your character. How did he become a Death Knight? Where was he born? Who did he love? Who was the person in that Saronite armor before he died? - General questions like this can really help you get some creative thinking going.

Now, let's return to our homie Billy. Billy is the Deathlord, former Scourgelord and Grandmaster of the Ebon Blade. He is also the bastard son of Arthas and Jaina. He might no longer be super-OP or merciless freak, but there is still plenty wrong with Billy's character. His story is full of stereotypes, bad tropes, and snowflake material. Let's dissect it all up.

Association with Lore Characters: Don't ever associate yourself or place yourself in the position of an important lore character. This includes people like Jaina, Thrall or Garrosh. I'm telling you to not do this because there is a thick chance you are going to end up with a character that breaks the lore and is very uncompelling because they are associated with someone very powerful if they aren't that person themselves. Avoid this at all cost. It happens too often that people forget this.

Deathlords, Grandmasters, Conjurors: Yeah, yeah... We get it. You played retail and got a little handy Order Hall of yours. it's nice and all... But have you, or Billy, ever considered that you are both Deathlords, owning the very same Acherus? If you didn't, you should probably re-read this guide twice and get a basic grasp of Roleplaying in general. Very much like associating yourself with Lore characters, you can't always be the Hero of Azeroth. You can't be the champion that killed the Lich King. You can't be one of those that rode on the spine of Deathwing and you definitely cannot associate yourself with the likes of the Order Hall champions unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

Snowflakes, Snowflakes everywhere!: A Special Snowflake is actually a very funny oxymoron as far as the terminology used to describe them in the roleplaying community goes. A special snowflake is someone who attempts to stand out so much, he fails to do so together with millions of other special snowflakes. Each of them is unique in a completely horrid and abominable way, yet they all have the same shortcoming. And still, it is so easy to avoid this by using just a little bit of common sense. Does your character wear really striking colors to stand out like the shining rainbow he is? Is he super-powerful Mary Sue that can do no wrong? Does he stand out from the norm because he defies all definitions of his role and/or class? If that's so, you are a Special Snowflake... To avoid becoming one, just remember that a well-balanced, flawed and down-to-earth character can and will be much more interesting than a special Mary Sue.

Death Knight: Progression

Alright. By now, Billy is all set to roleplay. He no longer is the Deathlord, he has a decent personality for his character and he knows that he cannot bang Sylvanas or destroy a whole city on his own. But suddenly, Billy is left without a purpose for his super-awesome Death Knight. He is bored because this guide told him that Death Knights need good reasons to be places, that they cannot just waltz wherever they want. - Well, that's true. Very true. You can't and never should go with DK somewhere where he doesn't need to be. But fret not! - This doesn't mean you are doomed to sit around the OOC zone all day, unable to roleplay your awesome DK!
You just need to find a dedicated group/phase/guild where your Death Knight could be implemented efficiently. Scourge plotlines are very popular with public phases and guilds. Maybe if they have one going on, you can try to have some involvement in it for the better or worse. Usually, you will always find someone who shares a keen eye on this sort of roleplay. Take me for example. I met a lot of my friends by simply roleplaying a Death Knight with them. - And due to Death Knights not being a very popular class in upper echelons of the roleplaying community, we just had to stick together. You can always think of great stories and plotlines with friends! Take inspiration from real lore events and characters. Think of the struggle they had to overcome or the darkness they fell to. This way, you can always ensure to have an interesting plotline going on. It all just takes to be a little bit more social with people online. Roleplaying is, after all, a collective work, where communities come together to interact and have fun in the environment of their favorite universe. If you have an appreciation for that, even an undead freak can become a lively and diverse character.

Death Knight: Generations

Before I end this, there is just one thing people need to know. The Death Knight generations, which we otherwise use as an OOC categorization for the different kinds of Death Knights, do not exist ICly. A Death Knight is simply a Death Knight to the average people of Azeroth. It does not matter if he is Gul'dan's Necrolyte or a corrupted knight. He is still a Death Knight to them. Now, this, of course, does not give you the right to just jump the horse and make a First Generation Dk willy-nilly. No. Before you do that, you have to understand fully that you are roleplaying something extinct and that you are still just a Death Knight regardless. Arguably, even less powerful than an Ebon Knight or a 2nd Gen. (But that's all up to speculation. A can of worms I really don't want to open.) Just don't use roleplaying a different generation as an excuse to be more powerful than your Ebon Blade counterparts. Chances are you will end up with a broken and unsatisfying character, which will give you a lot of smack from other players.

Final word of advice: So. You somehow managed to read the whole wall of text and you think you are ready to make your own Billy. That's great... Death Knights are an awesome thing to play, especially when you know what you're doing. They are a very fun class, just also very hard to get into. It may take you some time to get used to your Death Knight... Just don't give up on them after one night of unsuccessful roleplay. Of course, if it isn't fun, don't play it. Death Knights are hard to pull off right. They are even harder to master. If you are really new to this roleplaying shtick, you should consider picking a less difficult class first. With that out of the way, I sincerely hope you will enjoy playing your character.

unknown.png

This is an amazing read, and honestly I wasn't even expecting you to be this detailed and this precise to what I've considered be the right way to roleplay death knights. You hit everything spot on, from the annoying generation commentary to the death knights fucking eachother to the most important part - where the death knight should be situated and when. Really good guide and I'll be reading this myself if I ever pick up a fierce abomination like a death knight. Seriously impressed, not even sugarcoating. Finally someone who fucking understands this god damned race and class.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

This is an amazing read, and honestly I wasn't even expecting you to be this detailed and this precise to what I've considered be the right way to roleplay death knights. You hit everything spot on, from the annoying generation commentary to the death knights fucking eachother to the most important part - where the death knight should be situated and when. Really good guide and I'll be reading this myself if I ever pick up a fierce abomination like a death knight. Seriously impressed, not even sugarcoating. Finally someone who fucking understands this god damned race and class.

Thank you. I really appreciate that there are people who understand that Death Knights can be more than just ERP toys for necrophiles and power fantasies for little kids.

unknown.png

Solid read. But something I didn't see is to keep in current political atmosphere.

In Legion the Ebon Blade commits multiple atrocities and well just plain shit lord behavior. This ranges from decimation from outright conflict with old allies on multiple accounts, and espionage.

Infiltrating Undercity

Destroying New Arathor while not unprovoked without consul of other factions

Attacking Light's Hope outright

Destroying a brood of storm dragons which are helping us for the most part

Destroying the red dragon whelps(while optional) also going against the wishes of the red dragons and infiltrating their shrine.

There's probably some things I'm missing as well

Of course, that's a thing to factor in. This falls under the category where I explain Death Knight RPers shouldn't feel grumpy if they are denied access to certain places, if they are attacked or if their characters are simply disliked by the surrounding people. Especially considering what you mentioned. Death Knights these days are feared and hated like they weren't since WotLK. Or that's just my interpretation... Really, this is left to the players to decide.

Edited by ArvickCorpsebane

unknown.png

Death Knights are easy to master, when you feel yourself oocly actually losing your daily coldness just log off and go play a sweet kaldorei druid.

Haha ishnu'alah weary traveler

but yeah that's how I got somewhere on Manetaus, found a guild, they had some enemies and i was like "hmm i could help here" and i just go from phase to phase looking for threats and stuff to deal with. semi-witcher style roleplay just y'know without the hot babes and pony sex y'know...

as for the stuff they did in Legion, it seems no one cares or actively pursues a solution to that ordeal. but who knows what will happen after legion. good guide though, it's not full of bullshit headcanon like some are.

Edited by Norshar

zxZaKpL.png                

S3SCCwW.png            

b6BCJ5k.png

I like it. Though there are some things to take note:
Most Deathknights from the Ebon Blade, probably a lot less of them these days with the 5 wars Deathknights of either faction have been, were at the battle of Lights Hope and the genocide of the Scarlet Crusade.

There are certain racial deathknights that aren't reflected properly in game. An example would be most Blood elf Deathknights would be High elves and Worgen aren't from Gilneas. They're from Argul's pack.

The separation for clarity of what the three, and some speculate four, generations of the deathknights are. The extinct first gens, the runeblade second gens, the Lich King third gens and the Ebon Blade fourth gens.(Theorized as surely the Ebon Blade has liches and they're resurrecting more troops.)

7 minutes ago, Velinna Swiftstride said:

Most Deathknights from the Ebon Blade, probably a lot less of them these days with the 5 wars Deathknights of either faction have been, were at the battle of Lights Hope and the genocide of the Scarlet Crusade.

There are certain racial deathknights that aren't reflected properly in game. An example would be most Blood elf Deathknights would be High elves and Worgen aren't from Gilneas. They're from Argul's pack.

The separation for clarity of what the three, and some speculate four, generations of the deathknights are. The extinct first gens, the runeblade second gens, the Lich King third gens and the Ebon Blade fourth gens.(Theorized as surely the Ebon Blade has liches and they're resurrecting more troops.)

I don't see how any of this detail is relevant to the general idea of Death Knight roleplay. If you want to RP one, it goes without saying that you should research the lore of your Race/Class combo you are playing. I also have a whole section dedicated to the Generations dilemma above. More or less, this guide is just made to make sure people grasp the basics of what it entails to RP a Death Knight in general, rather than being a very specific, detailed lore guide.

For the record. Are you associated with Return of Sargeras and the guilds from their phase? BTW, it is Death Knights, not Deathknights. <3

unknown.png

2 minutes ago, ArvickCorpsebane said:

For the record. Are you associated with Return of Sargeras and the guilds from their phase? BTW, it is Death Knights, not Deathknights. <3

No. I am not and have not heard of that guild 0=

Just now, Velinna Swiftstride said:

No. I am not and have not heard of that guild 0=

Nevermind. You just happen to remind me about one of their officers who kept spelling Death Knight as Deathknight. :P

unknown.png

2 hours ago, Velinna Swiftstride said:

'extinct first gens' while lets keep in mind they are by far the minority by a wide margin theyre not extinct. After the statement of most first gens are gone, MOST we see not one, but TWO fully intact first gens in the burning crusade. Teron Gorefiend obviously, and then Lord Ragnok in the Dragons of Outland comic; we also then see many more as spirits.... and by their capability as long as they have a willing ally they can easily return.

But I'd still like to re instate they are damn near extinct, but not extinct i dont want to be quoted for this by five dozen memelocks.

28 minutes ago, Destruin said:

'extinct first gens' while lets keep in mind they are by far the minority by a wide margin theyre not extinct. After the statement of most first gens are gone, MOST we see not one, but TWO fully intact first gens in the burning crusade. Teron Gorefiend obviously, and then Lord Ragnok in the Dragons of Outland comic; we also then see many more as spirits.... and by their capability as long as they have a willing ally they can easily return.

But I'd still like to re instate they are damn near extinct, but not extinct i dont want to be quoted for this by five dozen memelocks.

I think (not speaking for anyone) he means that they are very few in number to a point where allowing a player, who isn't going to be Teron Gorefiend anyhow, wouldn't make any sense given their rarity, but I think your point still stands Destruin, there - are - more than the number extinct, but I think Arvick just wanted to point out that it's a bad idea to RP one

10 minutes ago, Destruin said:

Arvick? I was responding to velinnia

guess im dumb as fuck lol

7 hours ago, Destruin said:

You technically aren't wrong. But most of Gul'dan's Death Knights are by now Liches, dead or spirits. As you mentioned, we had two examples in Burning Crusade. (Which was more than a decade ago in the timeline) Regardless of them, you shouldn't RP one unless you really know your shit. 1st Gens are so freaking rare that the chance of there being more than three or four (from the original hundreds, who already were few and far between.) is technically impossible to think about. I see people all too often trying to act as if they are roleplaying a Death Knight (1st gen) "right." Which ends in tragicomically bad roleplay. This is why I advise against roleplaying them.

unknown.png

Death Knights,  One of the classes that seem to be more liable than anything else to open the metaphorical can of worms.

Although I like the guide Arvick.

it's certainly very, very well made and thought out.  But I'd have one small small suggestion to make if allowed of course.

Could you in your generations section just for the ones less than knowledgeable in that particular region  just include a small summary of what typically defines each alleged generation,  With how the First gens herald from this background during this period and then the same for the second Gen as well? ( Third and fourth Gen are pretty much all identical in where their stories as Death knights begin.  Courtesy of being more or less mass produced if you will.)  And perhaps just a small synopsis as to how big the difference in how the gens are likely to be regarded by their respective factions.  For example, or perhaps most notoriously first generation knights being generally considered kill on sight by Horde and Alliance alike etc, etc.

Perhaps including a brief summary on roughly what each generation is actually capable of, In terms of spells and so on?  

It'd also be great to provide a brief summary of what'd define your typical Generation 2 Knight's and a generation 3's backstory in a nutshell.  Perhaps even give some brief tip on roughly how and why They'd have ended up in the state they now find themselves in.  

That being because not all Second Gen Dk's were victims of the scourge,  A few did join it willingly.

Nothing to expansive but  just a guideline of sorts you know? I feel as if that'd really complete the already awesome guide you've got in the makings here.

Apologies for the small ramble but that's my two cents.  Take em or leave em.

Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, Arziaal said:

Death Knights,  One of the classes that seem to be more liable than anything else to open the metaphorical can of worms.

Although I like the guide Arvick.

it's certainly very, very well made and thought out.  But I'd have one small small suggestion to make if allowed of course.

Could you in your generations section just for the ones less than knowledgeable in that particular region  just include a small summary of what typically defines each alleged generation,  With how the First gens herald from this background during this period and then the same for the second Gen as well? ( Third and fourth Gen are pretty much all identical in where their stories as Death knights begin.  Courtesy of being more or less mass produced if you will.)  And perhaps just a small synopsis as to how big the difference in how the gens are likely to be regarded by their respective factions.  For example, or perhaps most notoriously first generation knights being generally considered kill on sight by Horde and Alliance alike etc, etc.

Perhaps including a brief summary on roughly what each generation is actually capable of, In terms of spells and so on?  

It'd also be great to provide a brief summary of what'd define your typical Generation 2 Knight's and a generation 3's backstory in a nutshell.  Perhaps even give some brief tip on roughly how and why They'd have ended up in the state they now find themselves in.  

That being because not all Second Gen Dk's were victims of the scourge,  A few did join it willingly.

Nothing to expansive but  just a guideline of sorts you know? I feel as if that'd really complete the already awesome guide you've got in the makings here.

Apologies for the small ramble but that's my two cents.  Take em or leave em.

Keep up the good work!

I was thinking about that, though I really don't want to give people the idea that they should walk around with their Death Knight, having "X generation Death Knight" in their titles. I might add it there for extra clarity later on. Since considering the basic nature of the guide, people should at least know what the hell I'm talking about.

unknown.png

Behead all who use the term generation ICly.

The only thing that's missing are the Legion events which had a large influence over how a DK is viewed in RP by members of the Horde/Alliance/Silver Hand.

Edited by Skarzo

1456231808359.gif

bolvar: i must be forgotten!!!

legion lore few years later: hi guys

20 hours ago, Vojtik said:

So let me just correct few things.

1. DK sex - possible, however it again deals with feeling strong emotions and as most DK's are undead it won't have any result
  2. Saronite is much more resistant against physical damage. It is also HIGHLY resistant to arcane magic, which with DKs own ability to negate magic makes them almost immune to it.
  3. well you basically recited 2 first commandments of role play,which every RPer should know, but I guess is nice to remind them
  4. everyone is special snowflake. Everyone has different story, different strengths, .... 
  5. DK generation are a thing, they exists. Don't be afraid to use them and RP around it. Because there are differences in gens. Yes most people will see you as just DK, but you should know which gen are you and what it brings. (although gen 1 and 2 are very rare these days)
  6. DK's are one of the easiest classes to RP, tho truly one of the hardest to master.

Who in their right mind would get attached to a living corpse to the degree that they would stick their dick into it or have some rotten meat stuck into them? Just because it's possible it doesn't mean it should happen.

Generations exists solely in OOC, it's a made up term that people use to differentiate between Knights raised before Acherus and Gul'Dan's DKs, say Teron Gorefiend.

1456231808359.gif

Well Sylvanas and Nathanos have a thing going on...

Generation are a thing. Yes, they are not called generations in lore, they are called Necrolyte Knights (gen 1), Fallen Knights or Fallen Paladins (gen 2), Death Knights of Acherus (gen 3). As I said every gen is different with different strengths and characteristics, also the process of creation of different generations are different (f.e. gen 1 have free will, gen 2 are not actually undead,...)

Edited by Vojtik

23 hours ago, Vojtik said:

So let me just correct few things.

1. DK sex - possible, however it again deals with feeling strong emotions and as most DK's are undead it won't have any result
  2. Saronite is much more resistant against physical damage. It is also HIGHLY resistant to arcane magic, which with DKs own ability to negate magic makes them almost immune to it.
  3. well you basically recited 2 first commandments of role play,which every RPer should know, but I guess is nice to remind them
  4. everyone is special snowflake. Everyone has different story, different strengths, .... 
  5. DK generation are a thing, they exists. Don't be afraid to use them and RP around it. Because there are differences in gens. Yes most people will see you as just DK, but you should know which gen are you and what it brings. (although gen 1 and 2 are very rare these days)
  6. DK's are one of the easiest classes to RP, tho truly one of the hardest to master.

1) It is possible. - But you won't do it unless you are retarded. Anything with a hole can be fucked.

3) That's not true. Simply false. I mentioned Saronite can resist Arcanite, which alone is super-powerful metal. So I would say I did bring up the strong physical endurance. There is no canon source for Saronite being resistant to Arcane magic itself though. If you have one, back it up, please. The only canon source for the actual properties of Saronite is from the quest Pure Evil and mentions in books about how durable and strong it is. It isn't some god-tier metal that is impenetrable.

3) And isn't it? A lot of people forget them.

4) That's in essence, true. But I specified what makes a special Snowflake a Special Snowflake. Special Snowflake isn't a unique character. It is a character that has so many outlandish traits for the sake of being unique, thus becoming completely generic and laughable.

5) No. Generations do not exist ICly. They are an OOC separation made to distinguish between Gul'dan's Necrolytes, Fallen Knights of Lordaeron and the Acherus Death Knights. The notion of generations is silly. They are all Death Knights, albeit with different abilities and origin, regardless of what you say. - Nobody in their right mind should use the term "Death Knight Generations" ICly. That was the whole point of my Generations argument.

6) I disagree with that. You alone are a testament to my statement.

Before you begin correcting people, make sure you got your own facts straight.

unknown.png

On 25. 7. 2017 at 3:02 PM, Romeo said:

bolvar: i must be forgotten!!!

legion lore few years later: hi guys

You have no idea how much that annoys me. It really messes up with DK characters. I tried to play the transition back into the service of the Lich King as an unknown calling at first, eventually descending to the point where you no longer care that the voices inside of your head are of the Lich King.

unknown.png

1 hour ago, ArvickCorpsebane said:

3) That's not true. Simply false. I mentioned Saronite can resist Arcanite, which alone is super-powerful metal. So I would say I did bring up the strong physical endurance. There is no canon source for Saronite being resistant to Arcane magic itself though. If you have one, back it up, please. The only canon source for the actual properties of Saronite is from the quest Pure Evil and mentions in books about how durable and strong it is. It isn't some god-tier metal that is impenetrable.

5) No. Generations do not exist ICly. They are an OOC separation made to distinguish between Gul'dan's Necrolytes, Fallen Knights of Lordaeron and the Acherus Death Knights. The notion of generations is silly. They are all Death Knights, albeit with different abilities and origin, regardless of what you say. - Nobody in their right mind should use the term "Death Knight Generations" ICly. That was the whole point of my Generations argument.

So basically opinion differences and wording. I stand that it's much simple to write in your TRP profile "gen 2 DK" than "Fallen Paladin of the Silver Hand" when it means the same and everyone understands what it means. Of course referring to yourself in conversation as "I'm DK of 1st generation" is silly.

3) As described in quest The Iron Colossus the only significant weakness of saronite is acid. Which led me (and many, many other) to know, that other things (arcane,elemental magic, possibly even explosives, ...) are just not good enough to be used against it.

It's not immune to arcane, but it's still resistant to it.

Edited by Vojtik