Sign in to follow this  
KaiyneIlldion

Custom Item Forge 2.0

The easy way out for custom items is to just allow people to create them in the main database. Ever since Transmog has been out there has been untapped potential in how custom items are made. Trinkets, rings, and necklaces obviously are not eligible for this type of forge, as they have no true display and no transmog ability. However, with weapons and armor it's a very different story.

Item Forge 2.0 would simplify the items creation process by making every custom, retail, and patch item eligible for transmog. This would allow two things. First, it removes the need to fetch id's based on a nondescript number. By taking advantage of the transmog system, you allow the ability to create an item based on an item you already have in your inventory. Second, it allows individuals to modify existing items without the need to recreate it with a new display.

I don't know how far into modding you're considering. I know there are still a number of weapons and armor that need to be added from the game source files. I feel though that this is very feasible and not using something like this to our advantage would be a disservice.

For example, you can create a tool (or even command!) that would add an item to the database. Item would contain a dummy display but you could just transmog it with your favorite item. And if you no longer like the look but you want to keep the item, you can always just transmog it into something else. Simple.

I got a top hat displayID sitting in my e-mail from 2012 for my goblin Razilius and I am desperate to add it in.

Vraul

Sign in to follow this