Scarlet

Suggesting Review of a Fairly minor rule

Rule in Question: " Chat Modification: Changing the colours of messages you send to the global broadcast is not allowed. Addons which only modify the messages on your client are allowed, however those which may affect other players with the same addon are frowned upon. "

Why: Fairly recently I asked what this rule covers, as it's written only to specify "Global Broadcast", Which one would assume to mean the Announce, GUILD, and EVENT channels. It also specifies the use of an addon, which would send an addon message to another user of the same addon (mind you if they have an addon to have chat colors changed based on people using it, this should probably be considered more of a client side thing that can be fixed by uninstalling an addon)

According to Tia, the rule also covers (without explicitly stating it, and if it's intended to, it isn't clear) public channels such as Say, yell, and emote. Assuming Party, Raid, and Whisper is included.
The Rule apparently also covers any Scripts that can be run via Macro that can change messages of chat color only in non-system channels (say and yell).

Suggestion: Since this doesn't particularly seem like something that can be massively exploited, I'd like to suggest an alternative to this rule. I tend to use a script to change the chat color when I DM events, to add a bit of flavor to things and to add further indication of who an emote is directed to.

Perhaps the use of scripts to change chat color in public chat channels (not announce or any other system channel) while in phases (not including mainphase) would be something useful to add flavor to emotes and dialogue text. The worst that could truly happen is someone getting upset that they can't figure out how to do it. This could be easily remdied by releasing the script publicly and explaining how to use it.

Alternatively: If such a simple thing is to remain disallowed, please ensure the rule regarding it is written clearly so that there are no misunderstandings about what it does and does not cover.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening!

find me on discord @Lehvie#1473

or just find me on a certain other server.
have fun boys

If it helps anything, I can demonstrate the effect of the script to staff upon request (depending on the time, of course). 

have fun boys

I can agree with allowing it in private phases and such - just not on Global announce I suppose.

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

13 minutes ago, MindScape said:

I can agree with allowing it in private phases and such - just not on Global announce I suppose.

The script I'm referring to doesn't apply at all to system channels, only basic chat channels. it also includes a filter for "." and "/" commands so that it doesn't prevent them from being used. P sure it was one Xeslite posted months ago on some other forums

have fun boys

1 minute ago, ScharlakenRose said:

The script I'm referring to doesn't apply at all to system channels, only basic chat channels. it also includes a filter for "." and "/" commands so that it doesn't prevent them from being used. P sure it was one Xeslite posted months ago on some other forums

Aye - I meant for the rule. However you go about it.

MEwmZ8k.png

j0R3peR.gif

I misunderstood, my bad ^^

have fun boys

Why? Isn't it enough with the features TRP3 provides with coloured names? I honestly just imagine this being used to stand out in some eversong woods echeloned-hang fashion.

Hi everybody,

We've updated the context of the rule to provide better clarification:

Chat Modification: Changing the colours of messages you send to public mediums is not allowed. Addons which only modify the messages on your client are allowed, however those which may affect other players with the same addon are frowned upon.

The reason this rule exists is because in the past these add-ons have been used to impersonate the administration. We will not stop you from using add-ons in your phase to enhance your experience, but we remain committed to enforcing the rule in public mediums such as the announce channels and the start zone. I hope this has helped to clear some of the air.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

1 hour ago, Witch said:

Hi everybody,

We've updated the context of the rule to provide better clarification:

Chat Modification: Changing the colours of messages you send to public mediums is not allowed. Addons which only modify the messages on your client are allowed, however those which may affect other players with the same addon are frowned upon.

The reason this rule exists is because in the past these add-ons have been used to impersonate the administration. We will not stop you from using add-ons in your phase to enhance your experience, but we remain committed to enforcing the rule in public mediums such as the announce channels and the start zone. I hope this has helped to clear some of the air.

So we are permitted to use scripts and addons which do this in private phases without worry?

have fun boys

9 minutes ago, ScharlakenRose said:

So we are permitted to use scripts and addons which do this in private phases without worry?

Yes. We have no issue as long as it is not done in public. The potential to impersonate the staff is too great, otherwise we do not mind if you use it for private role-plays and such.

Epsilon_Ohana.png

28 minutes ago, Witch said:

Yes. We have no issue as long as it is not done in public. The potential to impersonate the staff is too great, otherwise we do not mind if you use it for private role-plays and such.

I do have to ask how it's possible to impersonate staff though, unless you can force the GM tag? If I recall the only text channel that has a specific color change for GMs is a whisper, and that's blue. I'm pretty sure the script I use does not effect whisper, despite me thinking it did before.

have fun boys

Hey sorry im a bit late to the party.

ive not really stopped colouring chat messages at all lol, that being said:

im going to get pedantic here, what if you emulate an item link via executing code via script? whats the difference between that and simply linking an item. There's nothing malicious about linking an item. Colouring TRPs, are we allowed to do that? Changing the colour of players names client side via an addon that others also have is frowned upon. Colouring trp profiles via the methods stated in Bastille's guide post is colouring elements of the trp tooltip, and thats frowned upon. Are we allowed to link items? because they use the same stuff as what colouring messages use. Doing some quests on wow add coloured messages to the chat, and even icons - are they allowed?

You can also colour guild names, and those are publicly visible from /who. Yet there's no explicit rule against those. Also, staff members and various players have coloured guild names.

sorry, but if someone asks for a link to something, i'm going to colour it. Having someone type out an url is mean, regardless of whether or not it has been shortened.

Colouring messages is really useful for sharing URLs. They can be copied in-game, even by those who don't even have a colouring addon. Perhaps there could be some exception in the global announcement rule to enable users to be able to colour messages in announce or event announce that contain a URL, so people who want to visit whatever site it is only need to do a simple shift + click, ctrl + a, ctrl + c.

If a feature was added to announce etc that detected a URL between brackets or something, that could be a nice thing.

Edited by Grandmaster Pa