Insomnia

Insomnia's Guide to Warlock Roleplay

Welcome to my guide to warlock roleplay.  

By no means is this official to the server or to Blizzard’s standards, and this could change as the expansions go on.  Another thing to note is that warlock roleplay like many other forms has a lot of room for creative freedom, so you -can- depict certain things differently that you don’t agree with.

First and foremost, I will clear up a few misconceptions about warlock lore in general.  

-Sanctioned/Faction warlocks DO exist.

A Warlock CAN be aligned to a faction, as shown in War Crimes, Varian was saved by a warlock.  One case being in Tides of War, Varian has been shown knowingly using warlock in his military.  Although this by no means justifies you walking around glowing fel energy.

The Horde is another case entirely.  The Sin’dorei and even Orcs to some extent use fel magic.  However, they are looked down upon because of the Orcs and their shamanistic ways.

Regardless of affiliation, warlocks are generally kept around for necessity.  Even the Black Harvest, an organization created for sharing dark knowledge and in the time of need, slaying the legion is borderline evil simply for the corruptive capabilities of the fel.

-Warlock magic is NOT free

Warlock magic in general is not limited to fel and voidic magics.  The basic concept of a warlock is to get their hands on any dark magics they can.  Although for the purposes of this guide, I will tell you the most common types; void (shadow) and fel.

Fel and Void (shadow) magic have their ups and downs like any form of magic.  Fel magic has an effect moreso on your physical and emotional state, whilst void (shadow) has an effect on your mental state.  For example, fel might cause you to bleed from the nose and collapse if too much is used; where void might lead to insanity if overused.

The best thing to remember is to ALWAYS think of the downsides to your choices.  Warlocks use only what is effective.  

-Warlocks SHOULDN’T lob advanced spells around like it’s nothing.

The basic concept of an advanced spell is exactly that - an advanced spell.  Throwing spells around such as chaos bolt or netherward like it’s nothing will get you nothing but poor reception and arguments.  Although for someone who knows what they’re doing, it doesn’t require a soulshard and casting time is existent.  Some examples of advanced spells are:

-Chaos Bolt

-Netherward

-Curse of Doom

-Haunt

-And spells along those lines

-Warlocks are NOT all frail and weak people.

Warlocks are often seen by the roleplay community as weak people physically.  This isn’t entirely true and are even shown to be stronger than the average person due to their fel corruption.

When roleplaying a warlock, simply remember that things do take practice, and you shouldn’t know everything right off the bat.

Now that we have a few misconceptions out of the way, we can begin.  First, I think that we should touch basis on the first warlocks and how they began.  The first “mortals” to truly start using fel magic were the Eredar when Sargeras came to Argus looking for generals of his Burning Legion.  Those who joined him on his path became the Man’ari Eredar, using chaotic magics of fel.  Though they were not labeled as “warlocks” yet.  The first -true- warlocks were the Orcish shamans on Draenor who began using the fel, the greatest example being Gul’dan himself.  From there, the history of warlocks only began to snowball.

Another useful bit of information to touch basis on would be the most popular choice of affiliation in warlock roleplay.  The Black Harvest:

The Black Harvest received the most spotlight in Legion on terms of warlocks at any rate, although it was not created in the Legion expansion.  The original council of the Black Harvest was created during the Cataclysm to share dark knowledge amongst themselves.  The modern Black Harvest ranks consist of “Initiate”, “Acolyte” and “Invoker”.  Although  the ranks exist, it doesn’t necessarily mean an invoker has power over an acolyte for example.  Using the logic of it being an “organization for knowledge”, one could assume the ranks merely mean who has proven themselves useful and who knows more, etc.

-Demon Binding

One of the most famous parts of a warlock’s arsenal is demons.  Their ability to bind and control a demonic entity is an ability not forgotten by their foes.  The art of doing so is not very difficult on paper, but the following must occur:

-First, you must create a binding circle.  A form of ritual circle that will first pull your demon from the Nether and stop them from leaving.  

-Second, you must gain the true name of the demon.  To have a demon’s true name is to have power over the demon.  This can be done through a number of ways such as torture, bribery, etc.  

-Finally, you must create a contract with the demon, this being the actual binding part of the ritual.  Most demons are completely bound to your service after this point, although some demons are exceptions to this rule.  For example, Sayaad (Succubus) or Imps have been depicted with the ability to convince or control their masters, showing free will.

Ascension to “Demonhood”:

It has been shown that warlocks can actually get to a point of being bound to the Nether and become demons, although the problem with demons at their basic core is that they often become affiliated with the Legion.  This is depicted as them growing the standard demonic traits.  For example: hooves, wings, scales, claws, etc.

This concludes my guide to warlock roleplay, if I have missed anything feel free to point it out.  If you have any questions about warlock lore or a point I have written down, you may contact me as well.  I hope in the future that this guide helps you in combating warlocks or even playing one.

Citations:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27355/a-boon-for-the-powerful

https://wow.gamepedia.com/War_Crimes

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fel

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Jaina_Proudmoore:_Tides_of_War

Edited by Insomnia

fdfgsdfgs.png

srry but if it doesn't have cool pictures and fake text then it isn't a good guide........

zxZaKpL.png                

S3SCCwW.png            

b6BCJ5k.png

19 hours ago, Insomnia said:

-Second, you must gain the true name of the demon.  To have a demon’s true name is to have power over the demon.  This can be done through a number of ways such as torture, bribery, etc.

V A L A K

To also add, Warlocks can be extremely powerful against almost anything. Even an initiate warlock can do some damage.

And Chaos Bolt is NOT to be underestimated and IT CAN BE FATAL to the victim AND the caster if not controlled. basically a Chaos Bolt well done can destroy any shield and any mortal if struck, but the missile can be slightly slower than a pyroblast, ripping through the air.

It can also NOT be deflected or absorbed, think if it as a compact nuke. The equivalent of a mini mana bomb.

Also, a default Chaos Bolt is SLOWER to cast, as a Pyroblast takes around.. 4 Seconds for an experienced mage (Around one big emote turn), a Chaos Bolt takes 6 seconds, giving enough time to the attacker to interrupt or get out of line of sight.

Edited by Highlander

willy1.PNG2017-07-23 00.26.45.jpg

On 10/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, Insomnia said:

-Sanctioned/Faction warlocks DO exist.

4 hours ago, Titiantree said:

master_chief_laying_down_or_sleeping_by_

too barebones need to flesh it out more

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

creature.png

5 hours ago, Highlander said:

V A L A K

To also add, Warlocks can be extremely powerful against almost anything. Even an initiate warlock can do some damage.

And Chaos Bolt is NOT to be underestimated and IT CAN BE FATAL to the victim AND the caster if not controlled. basically a Chaos Bolt well done can destroy any shield and any mortal if struck, but the missile can be slightly slower than a pyroblast, ripping through the air.

It can also NOT be deflected or absorbed, think if it as a compact nuke. The equivalent of a mini mana bomb.

Also, a default Chaos Bolt is SLOWER to cast, as a Pyroblast takes around.. 4 Seconds for an experienced mage (Around one big emote turn), a Chaos Bolt takes 6 seconds, giving enough time to the attacker to interrupt or get out of line of sight.

As for chaos bolt, the idea of it is like you said.  Except the true concept is a bolt that devours the very matter around it.  Of course until it's hunger is sated.  The only two shields that can truly stop it is a "Divine shield" or a "Netherward", to my knowledge.  Both of which are extremely advanced practices.  But for the most part, I agree with you.

fdfgsdfgs.png

but fel does have a negative influence on the users mind. Its addictive qualities makes it do that once you start, it's pretty much impossible to stop. Just look at Medivh and how much of a Junkie he turned out to be. Most NPC's that start wielding fel energy in wow are seen to crave it. Like most sources of power tho, if you use too much and burn through all your mana then it will likely rip you. literally RIP your character.

so guys just remember not to pull a gul'dan on the reg, as you dont usually see him casting dark magic around willy nilly. 

nice guide tho, perhaps someone could make a guide on here about magic use. A wiki for epsi could be fun, too.

56 minutes ago, Grandmaster Pa said:

but fel does have a negative influence on the users mind. Its addictive qualities makes it do that once you start, it's pretty much impossible to stop. Just look at Medivh and how much of a Junkie he turned out to be. Most NPC's that start wielding fel energy in wow are seen to crave it. Like most sources of power tho, if you use too much and burn through all your mana then it will likely rip you. literally RIP your character.

so guys just remember not to pull a gul'dan on the reg, as you dont usually see him casting dark magic around willy nilly. 

nice guide tho, perhaps someone could make a guide on here about magic use. A wiki for epsi could be fun, too.

Of course, I agree.  But keep in mind, for a  time Medhiv was the Avatar of Sargeras.  Even as shitty of a choice it was....

fdfgsdfgs.png

Warlock magic in general is not limited to fel and voidic magics.  The basic concept of a warlock is to get their hands on any dark magics they can.  Although for the purposes of this guide, I will tell you the most common types; void (shadow) and fel.

This addition is amazing. So tired of the warlocks that constantly flail about how fucking green they are. Missed this when I first read it so, just wanted to say I really adore that you put it in here.

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

This addition is amazing. So tired of the warlocks that constantly flail about how fucking green they are. Missed this when I first read it so, just wanted to say I really adore that you put it in here.

Thanks.  I mean, when you think of a "warlock" outside of wow lore what comes to mind?  Dark magic.  So I mean, why limit yourself?  As long as it adds to the character, not overcompinsating.

fdfgsdfgs.png